Chapter 15- Turning Point

Ayy two chapters in a row!!! WOOHOO!!!

sorry not sorry

TW//: swearing (no one rly cares abt that one), uhhh hurt (no comfort yet)

...

It had been around 2 weeks since. And no one that he had talked to so far had even acknowledged the fact that Fire Spirit is a traitor that should never be allowed into the forest again.

Especially his dad. Although he hasn't spoken to him about it yet, he knew exactly what he's going to say.

And he thought it was time he knocked some sense into him, once and for all.

Millennial Tree was humming, organizing scrolls on a shelf as he opened the wooden-framed door.

"...Father."

"Hmm?" Millennial Tree turned as Wind Archer walked through the doorway.

"What are your thoughts on the fire?"

Millennial Tree sighed. "Is...this the reason why you've been acting so strange, according to my people?"

"Oh, so I'M the one who's strange?! It's them who are the strange ones! Why do they act like nothing happened?! Why do they act like this is normal?!"

Millennial Tree put a hand on his shoulder, looking him in the eyes. "Son, I know this time we weren't... Well, prepare for this, but it's ok! We can always just restore everything."

Wind Archer groaned in frustration.

"That isn't the reason why I'm upset, dad! Don't you see?! This is different from the forest fires. This isn't normal! What everyone thought was a friend just turned out to be a heartless beast. Why... Why must this happen?!"

Millennial Tree was a bit confused, but decided not to question it. He went over to the bed. "Come here, son. Sit down." He patted the soft sheet.

Wind Archer grudgingly sat down next to him. Millennial Tree stroked his hair.

"Wind... You've got to see that we couldn't have done anything to stop this. It came, yes... but then it went and left us alone. And isn't that enough?"

"How is that enough?! He betrayed us. He left our home in ruins! Everyone should've been hunting him. But no. Only I had the sense to chase after him and finish him off, once and for all! How come everyone act like they miss him?!"

Millennial Tree narrowed his eyes in more confusion, and was about to point out that it was more of a group effort... but he decided not to.

"...maybe you're a bit confused. No one misses it- we're just glad that it's over. Maybe you haven't slept well lately, and you're just misinterpreting their thankfulness as desire..."

"Well, they sure don't act like it! They act like they all want him back! You don't understand. I'm the one responsible. I should've been able to stop this whole thing from happening! But I was blind. I should've seen him for who he really is from the start!"

He looked away. He was ashamed of himself.

There was silence. Millennial Tree sighed heavily.

"Wind. Look at me."

Wind Archer didn't look at him.

"You've got to understand. It's a force of nature. It just comes and devours some of the forest, and that's it. Besides, the fires help the forest by burning trees that are too tall so new trees can grow... Everything has a good side to it, after all."

By this point, he was about to snap.

"Why?! You're missing the whole point! We all just... Accepted Fire Spirit as a friend! And then that motherfucker destroyed everything! He. Ruined. Everything. How can you still accept him?! How can you all think it's OK for him to come back here?! He's a sick bastard, that's what he is!"

Millennial Tree stared at him. He was too stunned to even lecture Wind Archer for using unacceptable words again.

"Wind... I think... I need you to elaborate on what you're talking about."

"Wh- What?! He started the fire, remember?! He burnt everything! Just so he can gain more power for himself! Don't tell me you forgot who's at fault here?!"

"..." Millennial Tree stood up. "Hold on... when you told me that you... 'finished him off' earlier... you weren't talking about the fire itself, but rather, Fire Spirit...?"

"OF COURSE I was talking about him! Why?"

"...Oh dear, this is not good."

Wind Archer's expression shifted to one of concern upon hearing that.

"What's not good? This way, he'll never harm the forest again! What part of that is not good?!"

Millennial Tree walked over to the window, and just started staring outside.

"...son, remember that forest fire that was supposed to take place one week after the incident?"

Wind Archer eyed him suspiciously. "...yeah...? What about it...?"

Millennial Tree took a deep breath. "I...I thought you already knew this... but the forest fire came early. Exactly one week early... The grass was apparently a lot dryer this season... It caught all of us off guard..."

...

The realization hit him hard. He could almost feel his own arrows drive themselves into his chest at that moment.

That's why no one blamed Fire Spirit.