Chapter 23- The Dragon's Bead

"I know you heard everything, Wind."

Wind Archer flinched as Millennial Tree came into the room, and sat down on his bed.

"...oh."

"You sure didn't leave when he was having a private conversation with me..." Millennial Tree sounded stern.

Wind Archer sighed. "I know... I just couldn't help it... I needed to know..." He looked down. "I... I didn't know he had been through so much before... I'd always thought that he had a carefree life... I thought just because he didn't have a mission, or something he fights for, that he didn't have to face hardships, but..."

He looked at his hands, not wanting to look at his father.

But then Millennial Tree felt an aura. A weak one, but it was still there.

"Wait... this feeling..."

Wind Archer froze as his father turned towards him.

"The bead... you have it on you!"

Wind Archer looked away. "I need it father. I need to fix this. The only way for me to redeem my wrongdoings is for me to repair this bead. And I think I know how..."

He felt Millennial Tree staring at him. "Wait... what are you planning, my son?"

"The dragon who brought him back to life... I have to meet him. I have to fix his bead. It's the only way I can redeem myself..."

"The valley is too dangerous for you. You can't stay there for long, you know that. And there is no guarantee that you'll find the dragon."

"But I know I met them! While I was looking for Fire Spirit... the same dragon who led me to him. I know it was them!"

Millennial Tree was confused about how Wind Archer met a literal dragon and did not get hurt. Usually dragons are very territorial and aggressive, so how come this dragon...

"How are you so sure that you are going to see this dragon again? How are you sure that meeting this dragon would even help with the bead's condition?"

"It's worth a try. It's our only hope of fixing the bead now. If this won't work... I swear I'll dedicate my lifetime finding another solution. But this one, I'm sure of. I'm sorry, but my decision is final. I don't care if I get hurt, I just want him to get better again."

"...Then I'm coming with you."

Wind Archer turned to look at him. "Wait no, don't do that! Something really bad can happen to you. It's too dangerous, father. The forest needs you."

Millennial Tree chuckled. "You think I haven't been there myself? Besides, I might even know the dragon you're looking for. I've been in the valley long before you were born. I can handle a little heat. I want to help him as much as you do, Wind."

"...Ok. I think we can give it a go."

...

The heat waves radiated in the air as they treaded through the valley.

Wind Archer could feel everything melting, sweating profusely. He could feel bits of his hair start to liquidize and fall off...

While he can last longer than mortal cookies, even he can't stay in the scorching fiery heat for too long. If he does, he may actually perish. They've searched everywhere near the forest, but the dragon was nowhere to be found.

Maybe shouting would work again.

"RED DRAGON! RED DRAGON, WHERE ARE YOU?!"

Wind Archer paused as he listened to his own voice echo in the valley, then silence again, except for the crackling of flames.