Chapter 1: Settling in

I woke up from another nightmare. Even after moving, I can't seem to escape the fire. I'm already taking some meds to help me sleep and I was seeing someone in New York about it. I know I've got PTSD, but I was wishing it would slowly go away even though I knew it wouldn't.

I look over at my clock. It's 5:36am. I desperately try to sleep again, but there are two things stopping me in doing so, the fear to sleep and see everything again, and the excitement in seeing Arizona after years.

Bored out my mind, I get up and go into the kitchen to make a fresh pot of coffee.

After a while of watching tv and sipping away at my warm mug, I get ready for work. As I get undressed, I can't help but look at the shiny, rough scars along my thighs. I rub over the lumpy skin. There hasn't been a day that I haven't not touched it. There hasn't been a night that I haven't had a bad dream about the accident. I don't know when I won't though.

I open up my new pair of scrubs and put it in my bag while trying to find some decent clothes to wear. I finally decide on black pants and a white blouse that makes my boobs look better.

Thank god it's winter. I think to myself. I hate wearing long pants on hot days. I got rid of all my shorts and I only kept a few dresses that had significance to me. Otherwise I never show anything above my knees. I hate showing my scars.

Especially working with kids, they make little comments or look at it. I know their not being rude. I mean their kids they're curious and everything's new to them, which is why I love working with them and all, but I hated it at first because of my burns.

It's been a year, but it's not the same. That's why I've moved back to Seattle.

Today is a big day, I'm having my first day and meeting my old friend who I was in love with, and after work, I'm going to meet with my Dad. I haven't seen him since I was 23. I miss him. We used to be very close, but now we only text and sometimes call. He still tries to stay in touch with me though.

Time passes, and I finally make my way to work. I'm half an hour early so I stay in my car for a bit before working myself up to go inside. I enter and ask the nurse at the front desk for directions to Dr. Bailey's office. She gives me a scared look for some reason so I tell her I'm meeting with her as I'm new. She sighs in relief and points out where it is.

I make my way up to her office and walk across the bridge. I can see her inside. Her office has a lot of windows.

I make out another figure in there. She's a blond with her hands in her coat pockets. I look down to her coat to try find a name, but instead find a small teddy bear badge on her. Arizona. And she still does it I think to myself. A smile radiates across my face.

I walk towards the office and someone is waiting to enter at the door too.

She's the same hight as I am and she has long, light brown curls. She looks a bit younger than I am. Probably around late 20s. I look to her coat and find her name. Dr. J Wilson.

She looks up at me and smiles. "Hey! You must be the new peds resident?"
"Yeah that's me, I'm y/n l/n" I smile back. And shake her hand.
"I'm Jo. Jo Wilson. It's nice to meet you" Jo notices the small flower and butterfly patch on your coat. "Ha, your just like Dr. Robbins" she laughs
"Oh that," I respond noticing what she's talking about, "yeah we both used to patch them to our coats together in college. I guess she still does it too" I laugh back
"Wait, you knew Arizona before this?"
"Yeah we used to be college roommates a while ago." Before Jo can reply. She is interrupted by the door opening.

Arizona appears at the other end the door on her way to head out and sees you standing in front of her.  "Y/n?! Wait your my new resident?? Oh my god!" She smiles and hugs me.
"Hey!" I hug her back. I feel her warmth caressing my skin. I've missed her.

We break apart and Dr. Bailey is standing at the door smiling too. "Ok, so I see you already know some people here" Bailey chuckles
"We used to be roommates in collage." Arizona reply's back to her while stepping back.

"We need to catch up soon!" Arizona says to me before leaving with Jo.

I can still feel her eyes on me as she walk away. I really have missed her.