Macchiato

Everything started off on the wrong foot today.

It began with the morning coffee. Now I'm no certified coffee connoisseur but even the average Joe (and there were plenty skulking around the office) could tell that the suspiciously black, horrifyingly viscous, liquid in my cup was indeed not a cup of coffee. This morning marked the first time in a long while that I forwent my daily three cup refills at 9:00am, 10:00 am, and 11:00 am sharp - instead the three hour mini-breaks were spent surreptitiously pouring the uncooperative substance into a nearby pot plant. A useless venture considering the four not-so-subtle surveillance cameras looming above the office, but I figured it would spare the poor intern, who had undoubtedly created this unpalatable monstrosity, some embarrassment. No doubt they had rostered a newbie, fresh-faced and excited to be in the higher level faculty, to take over the beverage rounds for the inner circle. As much as I felt sorry for them, I was inexplicably more annoyed at the Boss for ignoring my implicit request for D.O to keep his beverage boy status after his promotion. My six years of solid service to the organisation should warrant some work perks right? Apparently not.

I was left to lament the end of good coffee under a constantly replenishing stack of paperwork, courtesy of Kris, who was more interested in terrorizing his newly appointed assistant with his deadpan humour and dry threats (which Tao took very seriously) than completing his share of mission reports.

"Consider it as a favour, " he had claimed, "I'm giving you more opportunities to improve your skills." A giant load of bull, but Kris was senior manager, which meant he was balling on a higher payroll and could afford to abuse his position. Besides, call it a woman's intuition, but I sensed a little something-something, a small spark between him and his assistant. Knowing Kris, it would be another year before the spark kindled into anything remotely like a flame, but I wasn't about to jeopardise his love life - contrary to his suave appearance, the man needed all the help he could get.

My sympathy however, didn't extend far enough to politely accommodate every single one of his trips to my office.

"Thanks babe," he said as he unloaded his fifth stack on my desk. He seemed rather chirpy, and not at all perturbed by the colourful barrage of words I had flung at him just ten minutes ago. A quick rebounder, unfortunately. Out of the corner of my eye I caught the date code of the first file on the top. It read June last year, which meant it was six months overdue. That sneaky bastard was definitely exploiting my labour.

Without looking up, I flipped him off and continued typing. "You owe me -"

"Oh by the way, Baekhyun asked me to give you this note," Kris interjected smoothly, deflecting my comment. I perked up -despite wanting to pursue the topic further, Baekhyun was in charge of overseeing the shipments and deliveries for the organisation and I was anxious about the status of my new weaponry that were meant to have arrived two weeks ago.

"It's about your weaponry shipment," Kris offered and looked at me pointedly. My initial excitement and anticipation deflated immediately with a slap from logic - considering that it was not one Byun Baekhyun standing in front of me, the note was definitely about my weapons - or the lack thereof.

It is with much consternation that I am unable to report to you the status of your weaponry shipment. I will continue trying my utmost best to ensure your order is processed as soon as possible.

Many apologies from your humble servant,

Baekhyun.

P.S Please don't kill me. I finally scored a date with Chanyeol and as my number one wing-woman, you appreciate how hard that is right? You're the best.

"Tell him to like, grow a pair, won't you?" I asked, rolling my eyes.

"Oh he has - they just shrink right up whenever you're around."