Attack in the house

As Steve got upstairs, he heard a rumble in one of the rooms. He pushed open the door and ran inside. A man tried to get Helen into his power, but the teenager fought back with everything she had. With two steps Steve was with the two and missed his opponent a decent uppercut. This left Helen and threw himself on Steve. Helen quickly got out of harm's way and watched from across the room. The two men wrestled with each other, sometimes Steve had the upper hand, sometimes his opponent. Steve was just lying under his opponent again when he suddenly had a knife in his hand and tried to ram it into Steve's chest. Quick-witted, Steve threw himself to the side, wrested the knife from the guy and struck himself. Panting, the kidnapper let go of Steve, climbed out the window, and was gone. Steve got back to his feet, but when he looked out the window, the man was no longer to be seen.

Steve turned to Helen. "Are you ok?" She looked at him with wide eyes and nodded silently. She stood trembling at the door. "Come here." Steve pulled her into his arms and stroked her back soothingly. "Everything is good."

She slowly pulled away from him and looked into his face. "You're bleeding there."

Steve wiped his hand across his forehead, which immediately turned red. "May I use your bathroom?"

Helen nodded. "The door on the right."

"Thanks." Steve went to the bathroom and washed the blood off his face. Then he called out, "Do you have something like a first aid kit?"

But Helen was already in the doorway with a pack of plasters and disinfectant. Steve smiled. "Thanks."

"Sit down, I'll do it." Steve did as he was told and sat on the edge of the bathtub. Helen disinfected the wound and then stuck the adhesive plasters over it. "Okay, done."

Steve looked in the mirror. "Thank you, doctor. How does it look, do you have everything? We should then order CSU to take a look at the whole thing here. Someone was definitely looking for something here."

"I have everything I wanted to get."

"Okay, then put that in the Camaro, I'll call Danny in the meantime."

About fifteen minutes later, the Grand Cherokee pulled up with Danny and Catherine, the CSU and Ben's car. When Danny saw Steve's battered face, he just shook his head. "I forgot to mention the danger magnet when I was listing it on the plane." Then he winked at Helen.

"I believe you."

However, Steve intervened, speaking seriously but finding it amusing. "Hey, I wasn't the target this time, okay? Also, you were attacked, not me."

"Yes, but look at my face and then yours. Who was paying better attention?"

Danny couldn't hold back the laughter, it was too funny how a young girl, probably a whole head shorter than Steve, was arguing with Steve like only he usually did.

"I already love the little one."

"Danny, you love everyone as long as they're against me. But now joking aside and get to work. We need to find out who the attacker was and what he was doing here, plus I'm pretty sure this incident has something to do with Liana's death. So while CSU do their job here, we should speak to Liana's colleagues to learn more about the day of her death."

So after Steve had briefly shared his thoughts with the others, he pulled Danny a bit aside to talk to him privately. "Danny, I need you to do me a favor. Please keep an eye on Helen and feel free to take her with you to the questioning of Liana's colleagues. I'll join you later."

"May I ask what you're up to?"

"Yesterday I commissioned Liana's exhumation and autopsy. A few minutes ago I got the info that the autopsy was over and the results were in. I'd like to drive over to the medical examiner's office and speak to him and I don't think it's a good idea to have Helen around."