The Concert

"RIINGGG" People were already leaving the classroom before the bell stopped ringing. And I was among them. Trying to look for my best friend in the busy hallway, I was dragged to the exit with all the other students who were as eager as I was to start the holidays. 

"Lilly! Lilly! Behind you, phew, you walk fast", Nora needed a moment to catch her breath while I gave her a hug. 

"Hi, Nora! What's up? Are you ready for the best summer ever?", I grinned. "I was thinking, do you just wanna go to my place to get ready for tonight? We can get a snack as well?", I asked. 

"Yeah, let's do that, my place is too far away to bike back and forth." I agreed, my place is closer, no one's home today and I don't want to bike more than absolutely necessary. We took our bikes and tried to maneuver in between everyone else, without driving over any of the younger kids. The older ones, well, they learned to look out.

"Do you know when Alex is on his shift? Wouldn't want to miss the free beers...", I smirked. 

"He texted me earlier today. He's working from 18 to 20, so basically while the band is playing."

"Ohhh, he texted you huh?", I teased. Ever since we got put in a group for English class a month ago, Nora and Alex had been crushing on each other. Trying to get our friend groups together more, basically just to have an excuse to be around him. Don't understand me wrong, he's a nice dude but they're not as subtle as they think. 

Showing my point, Nora was beet red by now. "Let's dress you up extra nicely tonight then, who knows what might happen", I teased some more. I know, I should stop. "Lillyyy!!" But this is so much fun, I sighed. "Alright, alright, what kind of pizza do you want?"

It was 17.15 and an existential crisis was not far off. "My eyeliner is just confused today, it doesn't know it's supposed to be smooth! Not like this! I can't go like this! Aaah Lilly please... Save me!" Yep, I had the most melodramatic best friend ever. I rushed out of the shower to lend her a hand in her hour of need. 

"Come here Nora, I'll fix it... just close your eyes and relax... no no no stop moving, it's gonna be fine, think of the meditation classes you took." 

After a lot of comforting and some hugs, the eyeliner was on point. Actually, the whole girl was on point. She was wearing a cropped shirt with high waisted loose pants, her favorite collection of gold jewelry and had her hair up in two buns with some loose strands complimenting her face. I decided to just throw on a headband and do a loose braid, put on some jeans and my favorite top. Nora was still looking in the mirror, fidgeting at the buns in her hair. 

"Nora, girl, don't worry... look at you! You look amazing, if he doesn't like you, he doesn't know what he's missing", I said. "But I'm pretty sure he actually does like you", I added quickly. 

"But what if he doesn't? Maybe he likes Becky? Or you?" 

"Come on Nora, you'll see tonight, we're the only ones that could make it. You'll see who his eyes will linger on and it won't be me. Maybe you can get some 1-on-1 time? Let's go!" Steeling herself with one last look in the mirror she walked out of the door, seemingly more determined.

We got to the venue 5 minutes before the band started playing. Perfect timing. "Hey! Nora! Lilly!" Alex was waving at us from behind the bar. We went over to the bar and he got us both a beer. "Lookin' good!", he said, smiling at Nora. Subtle. Nora thanked him and mumbled a quick thank you. "You guys better get a good place at the front, we'll catch up after!", he said, when we could see the band finishing their soundcheck. 

I could already feel the effects of the alcohol after a few minutes. My tolerance was really low after the past few months of studying. But that horrible time was over now, the summer could begin. We danced like there was no tomorrow, the music was just perfect for the place and the people. I'd never heard of the band but they seemed to be familiar with the place.