Chapter 5: Tight Grip

The day went by like any other average Saturday at our house, but only this time there was a lot of tension and resentment lurking inside of me. All we both really did was sit around at the house because it's not like either of us could exactly go out in public considering he killed a man and I'm the only person who knows about it. And of course, he can't just go out by himself and leave me here because he knows I'll escape. That has me questioning how he's ever going to leave this house again because he's going to have to eventually. He still has work on Monday and I know for a fact he isn't quitting his job over this. So how is he going to keep me here when he's gone? That question has been pounding on my brain all day, and when I tried asking him that question last night it seemed like he had just as much of a clue as I did. I suppose he could just take me with him when he has work and have me sit in the car, but how is he supposed to keep me from escaping even then? I could just open the damn door and run right out whenever he's too occupied to chase after me.

I got off the couch and stretched a little when Eugene announced that dinner was done and set my plate along with his on the table. I eyed the food as the steam rose from it and made my way over to the table. We haven't discussed much today because I kept myself cut off and distant while I was running numerous possible escape plans through my head. I know I can't live cooped up in the same house with this maniac forever. I'll completely break down and lose my sanity if I have to live like this forever. Sure I've normally spent a great deal of time at this house, but being trapped here makes everything feel like it's been flipped upside down. It feels exactly like I'm under house arrest.

I complimented as I pulled out my chair, "This looks delicious."

He made chicken parmesan with breadsticks and it looked exactly like it was made at a five star restaurant. Just the sight of it alone was enough to make my mouth water. If there's one thing I like about my husband, it's that he can cook.

Taking his seat, he responded, "I made it just for you, and if there's something in specific you'd like me to make you, just ask."

This was what caused me to fall in love with him, his endless generosity and compassion towards me. Only now I can hardly see the light that's shed from it past the thick haze of smoke that was all the traumatizing things he's done to me. Since he and I started dating the smog would slowly seep in until it completely covered the light that drew me to him in the first place, leaving me as nothing more than a lost moth searching for that light until I found another.

I said passively, "You can make whatever you want because everything you make turns out delicious anyway."

He took me by the face and planted a soft kiss on my lips then told me with his hand still on my face, "You're just the sweetest, and just for that I'm making you something sweet tomorrow night."

I forced a smile to my face to let him think that I appreciated his generosity. Of course I appreciate it, I always will. I just find it very difficult to appreciate him at all now that he's holding me hostage here.

"Could you please make a batch of dark chocolate brownies with powdered sugar on top?"

He answered, "Of course, anything for you."

Anything except for letting me go. There wasn't exactly anymore that I could ask him about my prison sentence because most of the questions I had asked him he didn't have answers to and I'm sure he still doesn't. Of course, it was already Saturday night and I'm going to need to know what his plan for me is when he goes to work because we both know he can't stay here to watch me forever.

"Just a quick question, how are you planning on keeping me here when you go to work? I'm just curious because it's already Saturday night."

He set his fork down and cleared his throat before answering me then said, "I'll just keep you in the car because I don't see a problem with that. The windows are tinted so no one will see you and tonight after I tie you into bed I'm going to run to the store to get an alarm system for the car that will be triggered by you opening the door."