Chap 3: Questioning the system

I walked into class with a plain expression on my face. Looking around the classroom, I walked toward the seat that bore my nameplate. It was at the back of the room, near the window. A good place to sit, generally. As I looked around, I saw that the room was already halfway filled with students. The others were either immersed in their class materials or already talking with other people. Perhaps they’d all been friends beforehand or had only recently gotten acquainted. Well then, what should I do? Take action during this free time and try to meet someone? In front of me, a rather rotund boy sat at his desk, hunching over. Perhaps it was my imagination, but he appeared lonely.

The boy exuded an aura that seemed to shout, “Please, someone be my friend!”

Mustering up my courage, I opened my mouth and was about to call out to him when he started to talk with another classmate.

I sighed heavily. Seems like I got beaten to the punch.

Then, a girl settled on the seat beside mine. She had a stern expression on her face and had long black hair that grew to her waist. I recognised her as the girl who had sat across the aisle of my seat when I was still seating on the bus.

Shooting me a glance, she placed her bag on her desk. Apparently, she wasn’t going to tell me her name. Lacking any interest in the classroom, the girl simply sat upright in her chair like a model student.

I considered my options. Should I try striking up a conversation with her? If so, how would I do that? Or should I just simply ignore her like how she was ignoring me? That was a rather depressing choice, as that would mean I had lost my chance of having a good impression on her. People generally like others who are able to start and continue a conversation.

With that thought, I opened my mouth and said, "Nice to meet you. I'm Kiyotaka Ayanokoji."

She turned her head slightly and glanced at me, as if thinking, 'was this idiot talking to me?'

For the first time, I got a good look at her face.

Wow. She was cute. Or rather, she was beautiful. Even though we were in the same grade, I’d have believed it if you told me she was a year or two older.

Such a calm, cool beauty.

I continued staring at her as she stared at me.

Finally, she sighed. "Suzune Horikita. Nice to meet you." But her tone stated otherwise.

I pondered on how to continue this conversation.

Before I could say anything else, the boy who'd quarrelled with those woman in the bus sauntered into the classroom.

This troublemaker had been placed in Class D with us. Without seeming to notice our presence at all, he went over to the seat labeled “Kouenji” and sat. I wondered if such a person had ever considered even the idea of friendship. I tried observing him for a little bit. Kouenji put his feet on top of the desk, took a nail file from his bag, and hummed while he treated his fingernails. He acted as though he were completely alone.

Apparently, the rude comments he’d made on the bus had been an accurate reflection of his opinions. Within ten seconds, more than half the class had begun drawing away from Kouenji. His imposing nature dominated the space.

Looking over, I saw that Horikita’s gaze had lowered, and she seemed to be reading one of her own books. Oh, shoot. I’d forgotten that conversational back-and-forth was one of the basics of maintaining interest. I’d squashed one of my chances to become friends with Horikita. Leaning down, I glanced at the title of her book: Crime and Punishment. Now that was interesting. A story that debated whether it was right to kill someone, so long as it was done for the sake of justice.