Chapter 1

Hometown

At times, questions swirl in my mind, casting shadows on the purpose of my existence. Am I the protagonist of my own story, destined for a narrative filled with happiness and success, free from the need for dependency on others? The answers elude me, and it's this uncertainty that led me down an unexpected path.

Recently, I took a leap of faith by sharing my book with my teacher. Little did I know that this simple act would set in motion a series of events, ultimately leading to the submission of my work to a prominent city-based publishing company. And so, here I stand, earnestly persuading my partner to join me in the pursuit of an early finish to our tasks, knowing that this project in hand will grant him the time he needs to focus on his lessons.

In the midst of life's uncertainties, I've come to understand that sometimes it's the unexpected turns that shape our stories, leading us to destinations we never could have imagined.

You see, I just had this thing. It's old, but, it can go somewhere far." I sighed. I am aware that his history will prevent him from agreeing no matter how many times I try to persuade, beg, and seek for his assistance.

I understand that a refusal is clear and final, and I have no right to persistently ask him to join me. But, damn it, I wouldn't be doing this if I didn't care about him and his studies.

He stated, "I'm not going in."

"Put aside your hesitations, come on! We don't have to rush; I won't speed," I responded, realizing the weight of my words.

"At top speed?" he questioned.

"About one hundred twenty kilometers per hour?" I answered, partly serious. No, I wasn't joking. I accepted responsibility for my desires. I could even risk my life in a car crash, but not because I value my life over the car.

"I won't go."

"We only have three weeks to finish this—come on!" They assigned us a task to explore our town. A chance to get out of class, so it's advantageous. "And if we finish it early, everything will be fine, right?" I emphasized.

Failing to submit our work would waste time that should have gone into our studies. Despite occasional excuses, we still need to manage our clubs, attend seminars, and arrange events for stress relief. But our current situation hardly leaves us stress-free. The pressure on us event planners has been intense.

Here, the awkwardness of being alone, standing, and gazing at each other with an unspoken tension hangs thickly around us.

"Do you even have a driver's license?" he questioned.

"Have you gotten yours?" I countered.

"No, not yet, never."

"I don't have mine either. I'm just fourteen," I mentioned, wishing I had a license to move freely.

"It's fortunate they taught you driving at such a young age," he commented sarcastically.

"Irrelevant. The important thing is, are you getting in?"

"Problem?" His mother suddenly appeared.

I quickly introduced myself and explained the assignment we had received to explore our town.

"It sounds wonderful!" she exclaimed. "You can study while exploring, right? Clarence, go with her."

He reluctantly entered their house.

"Is he coming back?" I whispered.

"Sorry for his attitude," his mother apologized unnecessarily.

"It's alright, ma'am. I understand." I say. Half doubting with my words.