Chapter 2

Trouble

"MANILA, PHILIPPINES

(2nd UPDATE) The World Health Organization has declared the current 2019-nCoV situation in China a public health emergency of international concern.

The Department of Health (DOH) on Thursday, January 30, confirmed the first case of novel coronavirus (2019-nCoV) in the Philippines.

The country's first 2019-nCoV patient is among the 29 people being monitored by the DOH.

The World Health Organization (WHO) said the mode of transmission for the virus is still being determined, though a Beijing government expert said it could be contagious between humans."

"The first cases of nCoV were revealed by Chinese state media on December 31, after 44 people from the Chinese city of Wuhan were confirmed to be infected. Initial reports referred to the disease as "mystery viral pneumonia," as infected people exhibited flu-like symptoms like persistent coughing, fever, shortness of breath, and difficulty in breathing."

"The infections started in the Chinese city of Wuhan, a city of 11 million. It is the capital of China's Hubei province and serves as a major transport hub in the country. Officials in Wuhan have put in place strict screening measures of people traveling out of the city, with medics even taking passengers' temperatures before planes can fly out. The city is also currently on lockdown, effectively trapping its citizens.

So far, cases have been confirmed in all regions of China. The virus has also reached South Korea, Japan, Thailand, Cambodia, Hong Kong, Malaysia, Nepal, Singapore, Sri Lanka, India, Taiwan, Vietnam, the Philippines, Australia, the US, Canada, Finland, France, Germany, and the United Arab Emirates, with most cases confirmed in people with history of travel to Wuhan.

Health officials in China have said that the virus probably originated in animals and was transmitted to humans by contact with animals at a live market, but such suspicion has yet to be confirmed. Chinese officials in China have also said that the virus can spread from person to person, and the WHO said there is sufficient evidence to say so."

I stopped from what am I doing, seeing my socks after a decade of searching from it, sitting at the sofa. Listening to the broadcasters on the T.V screen.

"Amaia! What are you still doing? It's already eight in the morning! Your ride is here, waiting!" my mother's furious voice echoed through the house.

"Just a minute!" I replied, raising my voice as I hurriedly put on my socks. Why rush when I'm already late? It was 8:00 AM, and my class had started at 7:00 AM. What was the point of hurrying now?

"Did you pack your allowance, cellphone, handkerchief, and rosary?" My mother brushed my hair as she bombarded me with questions. "I wake you up early every morning, and you're still slow. What will you learn at this rate?"

Yeah, whatever.

"I'm leaving," I stated flatly, grabbing my things and exiting the house.

As I hopped into the tricycle, I rolled my eyes at the kids inside—kindergarteners. I opted to sit outside, catching a glimpse of him shaking his head with a creased forehead. The reason for my lateness? Who knows? I can't blame my mother; she's been waking me up early for ages. Should I blame myself? No. I had slept early, but those darn assignments kept me up all night. Assignments, the bane of my existence. Why burden students with so many subjects, most of which we won't even need in the future?

Would you dance for your patient just for them to be ok? Would you draw the head of the judge, the face of the judge, or anything just to win your case in court? No.