Chapter 7

Future

As time drifted away, the unyielding monotony of unchanged surroundings mirrored the unaltered weather. Does it hold significance? Perhaps for some, but to me, the paramount excitement lies in the challenges these days bring. The fourth quarter, the final stretch of the semester—a thrilling prospect. It signifies the impending liberation from this confounding school, shedding the burden of its name. Isn't it splendid, especially now as we navigate the last quarter exams, a countdown to emancipation?

It's not that we're oblivious to our studies. It's just that at this juncture, why subject ourselves to the torment of revisiting lessons from last week, last month, or even last year? The grand finale is upon us, and the prospect of moving on overwhelms the need to dwell on the minutiae of past lessons.

What makes this situation particularly amusing is the apparent indifference of the observer. If they cared, why are we still here? Suppressing laughter, we navigate the exam halls as if it's our turn to outwit the institution. Call us cheaters—frankly, who cares? Life is fleeting, and in this fleeting moment, we choose our liberation.

As I sat, casually jotting down memorized answers for the extra subjects, a teacher unexpectedly entered, inquiring about the contact information for the food seller. Fortunately, I had it, prompting me to raise my hand for acknowledgment. Moving at the teacher's nod, I discreetly accessed my gallery, committing more answers to memory while providing the seller's number. In the wake of his departure, I transcribed the information, leaving the classroom with a sense of surreptitious accomplishment.

"Finished already?" he inquired after what felt like an eternity. The minutes seemed to drag on, my only source of amusement being the clock on the wall. Filipino class—what a drag, I muttered in my thoughts, letting out a sigh as I discreetly observed the observer and retrieved a folded paper from my pocket.

Shading here, shading there, jot down the name, and voila! Easy cheats. Passing the paper now would be too conspicuous, so I waited for a minute to elapse. In the meantime, I exchanged papers with the person seated behind me and quickly shaded the answers.

Despite the rearrangement of our seating, it mattered little when the plan had already been set in motion—except, perhaps, for those who fancied themselves as intellectuals on the other side. After a minute or so, I rose, having made a copy of the answers and proceeded to submit my paper, discreetly tossing a tiny piece onto Julianne.

He saluted, giving me a thumbs up and a wink before fervently shading his paper. I smiled and walked past the teacher's desk, where I noticed him with a stunned expression. I smiled even wider, nodding and leaning in. "Keep looking at me like that, and I'll show you my best parkour's," I whispered, standing upright, and returned to my seat with a triumphant grin.

"What the heck did you do?" Hadassah greeted me in a hushed tone, slapping my shoulder as I settled into my chair.

I shrugged, still smiling, tilting my head and playing with my lips while casting a sidelong glance at him. To avoid his unsettling gaze, I scanned the room and noticed Julianne signaling me to stand and make an inquiry.

I nodded and raised my hand. He furrowed his brow and raised an inquisitive brow. Clearing my throat, I spoke up, "Can we take all the exams today?"

"We'll take them while eating," I added.

"What? Can't we take a rest?" someone from the other group attempted to object.

Julianne grunted, "Then rest if you want to. Just don't include us in your picky, whorish attitude." I pressed my lips together, shaking my head subtly to signal my group not to make any noise.