Chapter Three: Bad Moon Rising

Unikitty bounded over as soon as she saw Emmet, Lucy, and Benny arrive, nearly bowling the spaceman over. "Your tactics didn't work either, did they?" she ventured, and Benny pouted.

"No..."

"Tactics?" Emmet asked, giving the pair a curious look.

"I have a really bad feeling about them going on this trip," Unikitty admitted. "We tried convincing the Cops and Busy to just stay and go to the party, but they wouldn't hear anything of it." She sighed. "I just hope they'll be okay..."

"Why? Is something wrong?"

"It's Halloween night."

Emmet simply stared at her. "What's so bad about Halloween night? It's just parties and spooky decorations and costumes and little kids getting candy."

Unikitty rolled her eyes. "That's how highly commercialized it's become, but that's not what it is." She sat, curling her tail around herself. "You're probably too young to remember, and I'm not sure Bricksburg ever was all that much affected by it anyway, but Halloween is the one night of the year when the spirits of the dead can return to the realm of the living, and must be appeased before they go back. In most cases, it's just family members coming to see that they haven't been forgotten..."

"But?" Emmet prompted.

"But," Lucy picked up, "Sirius and Cary made a lot of enemies over the past decade. I know Bad Cop tried to prevent as many deaths as possible in the fights they often got into, but he wasn't always successful." Unikitty nodded solemnly.

"Something Busy did during his reign kept them from being able to come back. I think the Kragle might have actually had something to do with that. But since the two of you destroyed it, that gate is open again."

Emmet shivered and scooted closer to Lucy. "That's... That's actually real? It's not just a scary story you're telling to freak me out?"

"I wish it was," Unikitty sighed. "But no, it's all true. And I'm scared they'll get caught up in someone's plan for revenge."

"I think they'll be okay," Benny said. "They're more than capable of handling themselves. I'll just really miss B," he pouted. "But he made me promise I would try to have fun at the party tonight. So why don't we set the solemnity aside for a while and at least go say hi to Dick?"

"Let's!" Emmet agreed, eager to move on to less unsettling topics.

The boy in question was thrilled to death to see them when they stepped through the doors. "You're here!" he cheered, rushing forward to hug them. Lucy smiled as she returned the embrace.

"Of course we're here, we said we'd be, didn't we?"

"Is that the Monster Mash I'm hearing?" Benny snickered.

"Yeah, it's already started! My friends from the orphanage came kinda early so Grandpa figured we'd go ahead! Come on, I want you to meet everyone!"

"Yeah,  it's already started! My friends from the orphanage came kinda early so  Grandpa figured we'd go ahead! Come on, I want you to meet everyone!"