My take on: The Landlady By Roald Dahl

The train station was cold and damp. I stood awkwardly at the gates and checked my watch. Three minutes to nine. I looked around to see that I was completely alone. The train suddenly puffed a thick cloud of smoke and sped off to its next stop. I watched it until it had fully disappeared into the tunnel, and the dim lights from each coach no longer illuminated the station. A chill rolled down my spine as the darkness grew darker and darker. I swallowed a large gulp and help my chin up high to look as confident as I possibly could, picked up my suitcase and wondered out into the open street. Again, it felt as if I were completely alone. The air was brisk and thin; with each breath, a puff of air shot from my mouth. I turned to my right and saw a tall, dark figure walking away from me. I speedily walked towards him, which then developed into a quick sort of dart, which then resulted in me dropping my suitcase. I scrambled around on the floor, gathering my luggage and began stuffing it back into the case. By this time, the tall figure had turned to face me.

"You a'right?" He called. Although he was still a shadowy figure, I could now make out a large beard and suit.

"Yes, I'm absolutely fine," I smiled up at him, "I'm sorry if I startled you, I certainly didn't mean to, however I was wondering if you could direct me to a not too dear hotel?"

"Try the Bell and Dragon, its bout' a quarter of a mile that way!" He replied, as he pointed to the left.

"Thank you!" I thanked as I zipped my suitcase up and brushed myself off. He waved a quick goodbye and spun on his heel to walk away. I sighed a deep sigh.

"Goodness, Billy." I said as I struck my forehead with my palm. I was terribly mortified and sure I was quite red in the cheeks. I hurried off before I could pummel anybody else with my clumsiness.

I had reached my destination about ten or twenty minutes later and stood in front of the Bell and Dragon. The paint on the woodwork was peeling and the window frames and doors looked old and neglected. In all honesty, it didn't look at all welcoming but that's what you're asking for when you ask for directions to a 'not too dear' hotel. My luck had seemed to have dispersed and any shred of dignity I had left was slipping from my fingertips. I bit the inside of my cheek as I thought motivational words to myself. It wasn't working. My eyes flicked to the dim light just down the street. It was light enough to reveal a sign that read "BED AND BREAKFAST" in bold, black lettering. I moved closer. A yellow vase underneath the sign held red roses, slightly dying. The house that the sign and vase belonged to seemed brighter than the rest. Bright, pale blue and freshly painted white window frames. Two rooms were lit up, an upstairs window on the third floor and the entrance room. I watched the upstairs windows curtains slide to the side a little, only to be quickly dropped back into place again. A second later and the light had been switched off and the front door flung open. My head sprung to face a small, middle aged lady standing in the doorway. She wore a grey dress and an off white apron. Her hair was pulled back into a messy bun and small strands of hair hung from the side of her face.

"Hello!" she beamed. I replied with a weak smile. I was still slightly confused at her eagerness. She gestured for me to come to the door. I trotted up the four or five steps and stood at the porch. She looked at me mockingly.

"Come in my dear, I don't bite!" She chuckled. "Promise!" I smiled again and stepped inside. She quickly followed me and pulled the door closed. The room was small, laminate floor and pale red walls, lined with dark oak. A small chandelier hung from the ceiling, hardly lighting half of the room. It was sparsely furnished, just a rug, a desk and two sofas at either side accompanied with a side table. I stood for a while until I realised that she was stood just beside me. Watching me.

"I saw the sign out front, I was just looking for a room for a night." I said.

"I know." She smiled. I frowned mildly and turned away from her to avoid eye contact. She seemed nice enough however she was making me feel slightly uncomfortable.