Tension and Friction

'What could have happened?'

Thoughts of Jeonghan reflect his worry and curiousity. Nabalot na siya ng pagtataka at pagaalala kaya di na niya napigilang lumapit nang marahan sa pintuan. Magpapakita sana siya upang tanungin kung ayos lang ba ang guest nila nang natigilan dahil narinig niya ang babaeng magsalita at tila may kaalitan. Ngunit katulad ng una niya ring narinig, may bahid pa rin ito ng pagkabalisa. He quietly walked in closer towards the door, just enough to hear the conversation but not close to make his presence felt.

"I'm telling you, we're not running away. Nagkataon lang na naka-set itong pagpunta namin sa Davao."

"You left your home in Manila with almost all your important clothes and documents just in time before my people could collect my son. If that's not running away, then explain." Jeonghan couldn't see but he could tell that this voice is from a man of authority. Even on loudspeak, his voice screams intimidation, conviction, and threat. No wonder this woman seems fearful and worried.

"I told you I just want more time with my son, ALONE. I don't have plans to keep him away from you. Susunod naman ako sa usapan natin. I just want to spend his birthday today in a special way."

"You already had an awful lot of time with my son when you didn't tell me you had him after leaving and escaping our house. Thirteen years is enough. You've already spent twelve birthdays with him. And dapat lang sumunod ka sa pinag-usapan natin. Do your part of the deal, or are you forgetting whom you're dealing with?"

"I know and I'm not forgetting. But please, last na 'to. He's your son, too. Don't you want to make him happy?"

"I could've done that years ago if you have told me he's my son. Imagine your son, the only heir to Hong Industries, Incorporated. Imagine the life he would be having being an heir."

"I know my son. Hindi niya rin gugustuhin maging tagapagmana kung ang tatay naman niya ay isang..."

"Watch your words, woman. Pasalamat ka, ina ka pa rin ng anak ko. And besides, you should be thankful kasi despite of your status, I made you my wife. I made you who you are now."

"Why should I? I was never treated like a wife. Let's not all get dramatic because we all know that marriage was just on paper. It was all for show so that your dad would favor you to give the company to you over your brother."

"Even so, it's not as if I forced you. You were also willing back then. Nakinabang ka rin naman, my dear wifey."

"Stop calling me that. I have stopped becoming your wife. And I am regretting my decision back then. Isa lang ang magandang dinulot ng pagpayag ko sa arrangement natin at yun ay ang anak ko."

"Let's end this now. Whatever this conversation leads to, it doesn't take away the fact that we have made a deal. From now on, you have no right over my son. Remember ikaw mismo ang lumapit sa akin para i-recognize ko siya at bigyan ng magandang future. You've made your choice. Don't act like a saint now as if you're doing a great sacrifice here."

"If I had a choice, I would've not come to you."

"But you didn't have any, right? That's why we're having this arrangement. You signed the contract. I'm just doing my part, I'm expecting that you'd do yours, too. If you won't do your part, you know I can have my lawyer sue you right away. I know which hotel in Davao you are staying right now. You can't hide forever. It'll be worse for you if you keep this up. You wouldn't want our son discover that his saint-like mother isn't holy after all, would you? Imagine the look of disappointment in his face."

"Stop! Enough!" Another sound of china breaking was heard.

"I won't stop, lady. You know what I want. And what I want, I always get."

"Tell me, what are your plans for him?"

"Honestly? Wala ka na dun. Pero out of respect pa rin bilang mama niya at mukha namang pinalaki mo rin siyang matalino at magaling, I'll tell you one thing. I've already taken his credentials from his former school and submitted them on one of the most prestigious school in LA. He got accepted right away so I'm bringing him there. You know with his achievements, I can tell he's really a Hong after all."

"You're taking my son to LA? When?"

"I've already told you much. My son's life should not be your concern anymore. Di pa ba sapat na alam mong pagagandahin ko ang buhay niya? Ang buhay na hinding hindi mo na kayang ibigay pa?"

That hurts. Jeonghan could tell that the woman was hurt because of the long deafening silence that could be felt even at the spot where he was hidden.

"I'll just pack my clothes and will leave this morning before he wakes up. I'll make a list of some of the things about him, what he likes and he doesn't, what he'a good at and bad at. I'll leave it at the reception desk and will also send a copy to your secretary. Give him time to rest and enjoy his birthday. You may collect him in the afternoon." The woman's voice sounded defeated.

"Good. You're finally getting it. My secretary will be the one to fetch him. I'll send your payment once my secretary confirms that my son has been brought in my house. Don't worry about checking out. I'll have it arranged through him as well. Do you still have anything to say?"

"Take care of him and...love him even if you're not capable of it."

"You know I have helpers that would provide those that you've asked from me. I'm a busy man but he will have the best of everything as long as he's around me."

"That doesn't sound reassuring."

"None of your business. Now if you don't have anything to say, I'd let you pack your things now. I still have a business to run to. Goodbye."

The long tone coming from the other line indicated that the call has ended. It also ended Jeonghan's hidden presence as he came out from his hiding and fully opened the door to let the lady see him. When the woman saw him, both their eyes met, and she finally let out the sobs that she had been holding in during the whole phone conversation. She made it as quiet as possible so as not to wake up the guy on their bed.

Quickly and quietly without thinking, Jeonghan did something that made the woman startled and paused from her crying.