Mother and Child Who Grew Up

"Are you serious, Joshua?"

Jeonghan is now facing both hands on either of Joshua's arms. He couldn't believe it. He could not comprehend why Joshua has suddenly agreed to come to his father after all that has been transpiring up until now. He thought by this time his friend, seeing how cruel and cunning his father is, would rather live with them. Oh, to live together and to grow together with Joshua. What fun it could have been.

Meanwhile Joshua's head could not face Jeonghan. They did not talk about it but Joshua felt they were almost at the same page - that it would be great that they can live and grow together in the future. It was the miracle he prayed for. He could easily imagine that his life would be much better with Jeonghan by his side. In fact, he believes it could be the best times of his life if it this came true.

But he knows they're too pure to be tainted by his father's cruelty. As much as he wanted to stay by their side, he wants to keep them unscathed from his father's suspicious schemes. He wants to preserve the miracle that he was given to, but could not fully accept, even if it means sacrificing his own happiness.

"Talk to me Shua, hmm? Please say something."

"I'm sorry." Joshua weakly said, head still down and not directly looking at Jeonghan to keep him from crying.

"Jeonghan anak," Mrs. Yoon gently pleaded. "Could you escort Mr. Kim here for a while to Joshua's room."

"Ma..."

"Mr. Kim, I believe you can take it from there. If you need anything, Jeonghan will be there to assist you."

"Seriously, Ma?"

"Thank you Mrs. Yoon. Don't worry, this won't be long. We still have a plane bound for Manila to catch up tonight."

"What?" This made Joshua's head turn to the direction of his father's representative.

"Yes, Young Master. You'll meet your father in Manila. Finally you can have that father-and-son talk soon."

"Joshua, can you stay for a while? I want to talk to you in private."

"Mom, please can I stay?"

"Be nice Jeonghan. I'll let you talk to Joshua once you're done assisting Mr. Kim. There's still time, right Mr. Kim?"

"Yes, Mrs. Yoon. I can let the young master complete all his unfinished business here before we leave."

"Very well, please be our guest. I just want a word with Joshua. Joshua, please can you come over and sit down here."

Mrs. Yoon directed Joshua to move from the couch where he and Jeonghan were seated before to sit on one of the chair in front of her table. She waited until Mr. Kim vacated the room and Jeonghan, who will be unwillingly assisting Mr. Kim, closed the door of the room, leaving the two of them behind.

"Joshua," "Tita, I'm sorry."

"Please hear me out, first. I know you're doing this to avoid us getting into trouble. And I am truly grateful for that. But for you to choose your father over a possible good life here with us? Don't you want to trust us to fight for you? Don't you want us to take care of you? Don't you think that there could be a possibility where we could win over your father regarding our land and our business?"

"Tita, I'm sorry. Believe me, I'm grateful. I appreciate all the efforts you've been doing for me. I really don't know how to thank you. And I really felt happy when you told Mr. Kim that you want to take care of me. I wanted it too, Tita. I wanted it so much."

"Then why did you agree to go with him, why did you choose your father over us?"

"Kasi, tita, I don't want to lose you and Jeonghan."

"I'm confused, Joshua. Please tell me more. I need to understand."

"Kasi Tita, I don't want to lose you like how I lost my Mom. I feel like sa akin lahat nagsimula ang gulong to. If my mom didn't hide me from Dad, he wouldn't go at great lengths to find me, even if he doesn't truly want me. So it all boils down to me. I had to make him stop chasing after me. If I still let him chase me, he'd destroy anything that hinders him from coming to me, just like what he did to mom. And I didn't want that anymore. I don't want it to happen with you. I care for you a lot, Tita. I care for Jeonghan too. Today before our lunch, I prayed for a miracle to happen to somehow turn things around. And when you told Mr. Kim that you want to take care of me instead, I felt I already got my miracle. I don't want to have my miracle destroyed because of my selfishness."

"Joshua..."

"I'm sorry, Tita, if it might came out bad. But believe me, I want to live here too. I know you'll do everything to fight for your business and your lives. And I'm grateful that a part of it includes saving me too. But I know my father would exhaust everything to win, and it might cause you to lose a lot. And it'll be too much to lose you both. And I don't really want to lose you to my father - not in the hands of my father."

There's too much emotion that has already been expelled out that Joshua couldn't help but release the tears. This made Mrs. Yoon to stand up and come near Joshua to hug him.

"Oh Joshua, how can a span of hours make you grow so much?" Mrs. Yoon released Joshua from her embrace and bent down to face him, holding his face with both her hands. "Listen to me, Joshua. You're a good good son. And a brave one, too. Believe that you're both good and brave, okay? And know that you won't ever lose us, okay? You have us always, even if you'd be far from us. Remember that you have a home here, hmm?"

Mrs. Yoon caressed her thumbs on Joshua's cheeks to wipe the tears away, while Joshua keeps on nodding, keeping her words through his heart.

"Take this with you, Shua." Mrs. Yoon brought and placed the necklace she asked Jeonghan to bring. It's a pretty silver chain necklace with an angel pendant. "This is my gift for you for your birthday. Jeonghan has that one too. I got that pair necklace before I gave birth to Jeonghan. The seller told me to give the other one to whom I felt will have the greatest connection with my son, and both will be protected. I saw how in a short span of time that you're together with my son, you both connected in many ways. I know Jeonghan means so much to you now as how you mean a lot to him too. So I want you to have it. I've been really waiting for a time when I can give that to someone. I'm glad it's you. May it remind you that I'll be always praying for you. Have courage, Joshua. And most of all take care."

"Thank you, Tita. This means a lot. I promise I won't ever forget you. And I pray that I could get back here with much more freedom."

"Promise me one thing too, Shua. Promise me you'll never ever lose your true self to your father, no matter how cruel he is, no matter how much cruelty and wickedness he wants to instill in you. Promise me, hmm?"

Joshua is unsure if he can become the person Mrs. Yoon wants him to be, but he will try his best. He will do this not just for himself. He will do this for his mom, for his Tita Louisa, and for Jeonghan.

"I promise po, Tita."

"Thank you. Now run along now, son. I believe you need to talk to him now."