Chapter Two

CHAPTER TWO

Ursula, a Slavic woman with fine blonde hair, gathered it into a hasty ponytail. Her strong Eastern European accent marked her as a non-English national. She was poor and uneducated, seeking work as a waitress, barmaid, or even as an escort for an elderly woman. In her homeland, she was just one of many tall, blonde, clear-eyed women. There was something inherently masculine in the genetic makeup of her generation, perhaps in their broad shoulders or angular cheekbones.

Her homeland was harsh, with a deeply ingrained belief in the inferiority of women and the dominance of men. It was a culture marked by hardship, estrangement, and poverty. Women were expected to be subservient to their husbands and children, relegated to menial tasks and domestic duties, often subjected to betrayal and insults in the name of marital harmony.

Ursula had witnessed this oppressive culture in her own family, spanning generations. The belief in her own inherent inferiority had become ingrained in her psyche.

The inn where Ursula found herself had no room for her, and she lacked a job that would provide even a few pounds to continue her journey or afford a meal for the night. However, the thought of returning to her old life, where she might become pregnant multiple times for some overweight countryman, horrified her more than her current hunger.

The gentleman she was with had been exceptionally kind. He would likely have offered her a meal and been polite. If she had been open to it, he might have offered board and lodging in exchange for her company, a transaction she had engaged in before.

Ursula had done such things in the past—posing for photos in underground magazines, entertaining paid invitations in dusty rooms. It was not glamorous, but it was a way to make a living. She had encountered a particular market for individuals with physical disabilities, willing to pay handsomely for her services. However, these encounters rarely led to anything more intimate, as their atrophied bodies lacked the capacity for physical arousal.

She had emerged from those encounters amused and relaxed, preferring them to dealing with older men. She had yet to encounter a handsome young man who might have tempted her for a simple dinner, a night of shelter, a hot bath, and a chance to freshen up—simple comforts she often lacked.

Ursula couldn't help but notice the odor of her own unwashed body, mixed with the scent of urine, held in the blond hair between her legs. The prospect of cleanliness and intimacy was enticing.

The gentleman she was with had asked for directions to Doctor Henry's country house, claiming to be a country doctor himself. He implied that the locals would be familiar with it.

The innkeeper, a lanky woman with a discolored appearance and missing teeth, regarded Ursula with surprise. She offered a terrible smile, and her eyes appeared lascivious and frenzied. She blinked repeatedly, as if to replenish the moisture in her eyes.

The innkeeper agreed to show them the way. As they left the inn, Ursula noticed the woman limping and inquired if she had fallen. The innkeeper revealed that it was the result of an altercation with an unpleasant young lady.

Ursula found herself following the innkeeper, who had an unusual appearance with a prominent nose and a pointed chin. The innkeeper seemed to imply that Doctor Henry might be interested in Ursula's company, insinuating that he was a bachelor susceptible to such temptations.

Ursula clarified that she would pay for her accommodations but was open to staying elsewhere if the innkeeper could recommend another available lodging.

"But don't get nervous, Miss, the doctor here is well known, he will be in good company, he is a fine gentleman, you will see. Nothing will happen that you didn't want too."