Carry On Wayward Son

"Oh, snap!" Spencer put his mug of hot tea down on the end table, sitting cross-legged on the sofa. "Judge Judy doesn't mess around."

Sam shook his head and laughed, leaning against the arm of the couch. "I still can't believe we're watching this."

Dean took a drink of his Coke, sitting in between Spencer and Sam with his legs stretched out in front of him. "Of course we're watching this. It's Judge Judy."

Spencer picked at the fibers of his checkered socks, his lips faintly pursed. "You know, with my experience and memory, I could be a Judge Judy."

Sam snorted and grabbed his water from the end table. "You would make a great Judge Judy." He took a sip and put his water down, still grinning. "I don't know if I can see you sassing people, though."

Spencer held up his hands. "Oh, Sam, you haven't lived until you've seen me sassy."

Sam laughed again, pulling his attention from the TV and looking at Spencer. "Next time we're working a case, I expect some top-level sass. You got that?"

Spencer shrugged his shoulders, feigning dismissiveness. "I don't know, Sam. I'll have to see if the muse hits me."

Dean snorted out a laugh and took another drink of his soda. "If you ask me, you showed plenty of sass when you were chewing us out for—" He was cut off by the ringing of a phone, and he quickly fished the device out of his pocket. "It's Bobby. I gotta get this." Dean handed his soda to Spencer and stood up with a grunt, flipping his phone open and pressing it to his ear. "Hey, Bobby. What's up?"

Spencer watched Dean walk around the couch and go into the kitchen, his voice fading as he got further away. "Huh." Spencer looked at Sam. "You think it's a hunt?"

Sam shrugged his shoulders. "I don't know. Maybe." He hesitated for a moment, and then he gave Spencer a look of mild concern. "If it is, are you up for it?" He quickly continued. "I'm not trying to imply that you're not capable or anything, I just... I just don't want you to push yourself too hard, too soon."

Spencer wet his lips and nodded a few times, eyes averting out of guilt. It had only been two months since he overdosed on heroin, so it made sense that Sam was worried, but honestly? Spencer was getting serious cabin fever, and the idea of a hunt was tantalizing.

"I'll be fine, Sam," was what Spencer eventually said, his voice coming out a little more timid than he would have liked. "Thanks for checking on me, though."

Sam offered a small smile and a nod, and then he grabbed his water and took another drink, putting his attention back on the television.

Spencer also looked back at the screen, one hand still holding Dean's Coke while the other absently wandered to his mug of hot tea. For a little while, he didn't say anything. He watched the televised drama unfold, and he occasionally glanced over to see if Sam was watching him. Seconds passed, and Spencer decided he didn't like the semi-awkward silence that had formed.

"If there is one thing this show has taught me, it's that you should never give money to anyone and expect it back." Spencer took a sip of his tea and put the mug down, letting out a small, satisfied sigh.

Sam hummed thoughtfully and tilted his head to the side. "I can see that. But, on the other hand, you—"

"We got a hunt."

Spencer and Sam both turned on the couch to see Dean standing behind them, his closed phone still in his hand.

"Where are we headed?" Spencer asked, handing Dean's soda back to him.

"Kentucky." Dean shoved his phone into his pocket. "I guess there's a hunter couple there tracking a werewolf pack, and it looks like it might be pretty big. According to Bobby, this couple only hunts some of the time, and they'd like some backup for this."