You Are My Dream

The next morning, she was sleeping in his bed, stretching her hand on his side. When she slowly opened her heavy eyelids, she noticed that he wasn't there. She frowned, still looking at his side, then stood up, leaning on her arms.

An hour before. He woke up, got dressed and went through the town. Finally, he stopped at a clothes shop, then went inside. There, an old woman was sitting on a chair with a cup of tea in her hand. She had light blond hair with white strands, a long light blue dress with pink flowers, pearls around her neck and wrists, her hands being delicate but aged by time. She seemed quite old, but the way she was dressed and the way she smelled of rose perfume gave a youthful air. When she raised her head towards him at the sound of the doorbell, he realized she had a familiar face. She smiled warmly at him, seeing how her light blue eyes looked at him as if she knew him from somewhere too.

John: Good morning!
Fallon: Good morning, young man. What can I do for you?
John: Could you help me choose some dresses for someone?
Fallon: "Someone?" It means that this person is quite special for you. I'm surprised...
John: Why?
Fallon: There are many things being said about you...Captain.
John: I've changed. I'm not like that anymore. And I would like to forget my past.
Fallon: I see. Well, everyone has moments in their life that they regret. And want to change... Unfortunately that's impossible.
John: Good to know, because I regret almost all the years of my life.
Fallon: If you really changed as you said, it doesn't matter anymore. So, do you have something in your head? A model, a color, a material?
John: To be quite elegant, soft and comfortable. I would like to look among the most expensive ones you have.
Fallon: So she really is an important person... This reminds me of my youth. An important person for me gave me a star in my name. I will never forget that moment...or him.
John: *his eyes widened* Fallon?
Fallon: *smiled* I knew you would recognize me in the end.
John: Wow, I really haven't seen you for a long time! What have you been doing?
Fallon: Well, nothing interesting. I opened this shop shortly after Harris left. Since then, I'm still here, alone. Nothing has changed... except the fact that I'm much older.
John: *smiled* He misses you. A lot.
Fallon: Then why didn't he come after me?
John: He didn't know you were here. I catch him sometimes at night looking at the sky. Now I realized why. He wasn't looking at the sky...he was looking at a certain star. Your star.
Fallon: I do the same... *sighed* I love him so much...
John: He does too.
Fallon: You think so?
John: Aye.

She took out a white handkerchief from her pocket and wiped the tear that fell on her rosy cheek, changing the subject so as not to burst into tears.

Fallon: Well, that's the past... Life doesn't always bring you where you want...but where it is predestined for you. Where were we? Oh, dresses, yes! The most expensive, you say? I have some in the back that I haven't brought yet. But you are a very special buyer, so wait here. They are very beautiful and I worked on them for a long time. You will be the first to see them.

After half an hour spent there, he walked out the door with a box with a satin ribbon in his hands. Fallon stared at the door for a while, regretting not asking him to talk to Harris, but after a few seconds she headed for her seat. Just before she sat down, she noticed that there was an envelope. She took it, sat down on the chair and started reading it. She began to cry, smiling at the same time as every word on that paper seemed to smile back at her. It was written there that the next morning they would leave by ship, and if she wanted to see and talk to Harris, she should come on deck that evening.

Back in the present, as France prepared to get out of bed, the bedroom door slowly opened, she watching closely to see if John would enter. It really was him. With a box in hand.

John: Morning. When did you wake up?
France: Like two minutes ago. *She stretched her arms up, then cracked her neck* What is that you have there?
John: It's a present. *he sat down on the edge of the bed* For you.
France: *She narrowed her eyes smiling* What's the occasion?
John: There is no need to have one. Open it.

She opened the bow and removed the cover, then took out the first folded dress there, unfolding it to get a better look at it. Her mouth was open in astonishment.

France: Wow! This dress... Is really beautiful!
John: I know that you are not materialistic and that you are generally not impressed by these gestures, but I've never known how to show my feelings towards a person. I hope you like it anyway...
France: *she took the second dress out of the box, got out of bed and stood in front of the mirror, holding the dress right in front of her* If I like it? Are you kidding?! They are wonderful! And the materials are so delicate and light. They seem quite expensive tho. *looked at him*
John: That doesn't concern you. I'm glad you like them.

She went to him smiling, then she bent down a little and gave him a kiss.

France: Thank you.
John: I have another surprise for you.
France: What?
John: This will be the last trip until we move.
France: Move?
John: For a year I have been paying some people to build a house for me. I thought that with a little luck...someday...it will be your house too.
France: *her face lit up* For real?
John: For real.
France: *giggled* How does it look like?
John: Well, it's not finished yet, but it will be when we return. It is quite large. With many spacious rooms inside, ground floor and 2 more floors. It is here, in England, but in a quieter place, without neighbors...just the two of us. From our bedroom you can see the ocean, it is very close.
France: "Our bedroom"... I like the sound of that.
John: The bed is bigger than this one.
France: Oh, and I was hoping it would be smaller. *he giggled* Thank you. *sat next to him* It upsets me that I cannot repay you as much in any way.
John: Let's not forget that you saved my life once. No one on this ship would be here now without your help.
France: It's still not fair tho, you saved my life too. A couple of times...
John: Then the reward is your existence. The fact that you stayed...knowing well who I am.
France: Yes, I know you well. And it's been five years...We are both more mature.
John: I liked when you weren't. When you used to annoy me sometimes. When you were almost always sarcastic. When you were doing every stupid thing came to your mind.
France: I still do those things. All of them...
John: Then I am quite satisfied. *they giggled*
France: *took a moment to stare at him, then smiled* Thank you again... Thank you that even though I left, you came for me...not giving up on me.
*he smiled back then they both hugged*