The Chapter Without a Title

A week passed over them, and he was getting worse. However, he didn't worry, because that's what the doctor predicted. On the other hand, France never let him out of her sight. She stayed with him every day, also living with the guilt and pain of the murder. When the second week passed, John felt worse and worse, which was not supposed to happen. However, instead of calling the doctor, he did nothing, believing that he was strong enough to heal himself. He stayed for another week, in which France could no longer bear.

France: John... Stop being stubborn, please. I'll call the doctor whether you want or not. You're not doing well at all.
John: *Speaking jerkily, through pain* Fine... do it.
France: *She stood up* You told me it wasn't a big deal. You told me it was just a scratch. I knew you lied to me. *wanted to leave*
John: Because that's it. I-I'm not lying! France!

But without another word, she left the room. After about two hours, the door opened. He was hoping to see her face cause the fact that he was lying to her hurt him even more. But a man's body appeared in the room, realizing afterwards that it was the doctor. After half an hour, he finished.

The doctor: Did you tell her about the poison?
John: It's not necessary, because I'll be fine anyway. I told you that I don't want to fill her with more worries.
The doctor: I'm afraid you won't be fine... You're dying. There is no chance to recover. I did everything I could, but the poison was too strong and got inside you too quickly. I'm really sorry. Chances would have been possible if you had called me earlier, as I told you. Poison is not like any other wound... you never know exactly how it works. When it spreads and when it doesn't...
John: No! That can't be possible!
The doctor: It is, I'm sorry... You must tell her the truth...before is too late. She already suspects something.
John: I don't wanna do this to her... I wanna live, not for me... but for her.
The doctor: I know what you're saying...
John: When it will happen?
The doctor: A day or two.
John: Only if I hadn't been so fucking overbearing... It's only my fault...

   And John stayed to think. He thought for a few hours, not knowing what to do. He was ready to die. He was at peace with it. Being a pirate you have to be aware of the fact that you can be killed at any time, that's why this reaction came from him. Especially because he knew he did it with his own hand. But he didn't want to leave France alone, with even more suffering in her. When evening came, she entered the room.

France: Hi...
John: Hi.
France: Sorry I left. I'm sorry I got mad at you... You're gonna be fine, right? You'll be fine and we will love each other more than ever. We'll get married and have many children who will run between our legs on a sunny day. We will know our grandchildren and we will die at a very old age...together...isn't it?

   The word "die" opened his eyes. She suspected well what she suspected. She was aware of what was going to happen, but she didn't say it directly. Probably because she needed to hear that she's right, that all this will happen. But it was not possible.

John: The doctor told you?
France: There was no need. I managed to figure it out... Oh, John! I was hoping you would tell me that it's not as I suspected. Please, tell me! Don't leave me!

   She burst into tears. There could be nothing worse than that. Nothing. She cried so hard that his heart broke into millions of pieces. Then, she tried to stop crying, struggling to get some words out of her mouth.

France: I also hid something from you... I... I'm...I'm pregnant...
John: *His face fell* What?
France: I'm carrying your baby... I'm so sorry, I wanted to give you the news earlier, but I thought I'd do it at the wedding. I wanted it to be something special... *started crying again* What am I going to do? I can't live without you. I can't...
John: Don't say such nonsense. Of course you can, and you will. You promised me, a long time ago. You will give birth to the baby and Harris and Fallon will help you to raise her.
France: *barely speaking, through crying* "Her"?
John: I think it's a her, don't you? I want the child to look like you in every way. To be as gracefully feminine but also to have her frightful side when needed... just like you. France...look at me. You will live a beautiful life. You will have everything you need.
France: *her eyes were filled with tears, whispering in despair* You're the only thing I needed...
John: No, child. That's not true... You can have a very beautiful life without me... and you will. Please don't break our understanding. Don't let impure thoughts enter your head... I'm sorry I can't be here to protect you...I love you.