8. Didn't Mean Anything

Take Me to Hawaii - A Tratie Fanfiction - Chapter 8 -  Didn't Mean Anything - Day 1

Katie sat and listened to Spotify, wondering whether or not Annabeth was listening the same song as her. The smartest of their friends, who definitely wouldn't have caused Katie to almost miss their flight, had cancelled on their trip last minute to visit Florence on a historical work study. She wouldn't have normally passed up on trip, but the work study was something she'd signed up for on whim in junior year and she was placed onto a waiting list:

"So basically I need you to tutor me in the plant side of biology and in exchange I'll tutor you in the marine side and Grover will tutor you in the animal side?" Percy had negotiated, it was February and the group were coming up with study schedules for finals.

"I got in!" Annabeth had interrupted. She'd waved the letter above her head running in to the library and bee-lining for her boyfriend. Percy Jackson looked bewildered at her yelling and braced him self to either be hugged or judo flipped. She ran over to them, her curls bouncing in their ponytail and she threw herself over the shoulders of her boyfriend, her arms wrapping tightly around his neck.

She shook the paper in front of his face rapidly and he held onto her arms to stop it.

"Wise Girl this is in Italian, I have no idea what it says." He took her free hand in his and brought it up to kiss, distracting her as he pried the letter from her grasp and handed it over to Nico who sat beside him.

Nico scanned the document. His eyes widened and squinted as he continued to before his mouth turned up into the biggest smile.

"You got in!" He whispered at the paper slightly in disbelief.

"I got in!" She repeated letting go of her boyfriend to go stand beside Nico.

"You got in!" In a twist turn of events, Nico hugged her. Katie couldn't decide what was more impressive: whatever Annabeth got into or the fact Nico hugged her, voluntarily.

"That's great, good job Annie!" Thalia said, she'd been the only one allowed to call Annabeth that nickname. "But what did you get into?"

"The Italian history of art and architecture course in Florence that I applied for a few years ago." Nico and Annabeth continued to hug, stepping side to side as she spoke "they contacted me over the summer and asked if I could complete an Italian fluency test but-"

"You don't speak Italian." Percy finished. Nico let go of Annabeth.

"I've been teaching her." Nico's tone implied it should've been obvious, that once again Percy Jackson had overlooked a simple thing. "When you're at swim practice, Annabeth and I are at McDonald's, cussing out duolingo with a side of fries."

"And it worked! I owe you the world!" Annabeth shook Nico by the shoulder, the boy's hair pulsed in waves hanging around his jaw.

Katie sat thinking to herself, he noise of Nico telling Annabeth about his childhood in Italy was drowned out by the her thoughts.

"But what about-?"She was happy for annabeth of course she was, but they'd already bought the tickets. Who would replace her on the trip? Katie only had a small group she was comfortable with and she wasn't so sure about replacing one of them before the end of the year.

"I'll be gone all summer so I'll have to cancel...but it's such an elite programme I have to go!" Annabeth said. It hurt Katie that Annabeth wouldn't come. The two weren't close, or even friends really, but she'd been one of the few people who promised to introduce Katie to the others coming. She knew this was a great opportunity for Annabeth but she still felt betrayed. It was stupid. She knew she was being selfish but still.