Chapter 2: The Cat.

The cricket's chirps blared in our ears as I held onto Kayla.  "...what... what should we do?"  she asked.  "I don't know..."  I spoke, my voice shaky. it was terrifying, two 13-year-olds alone and lost in the forest.  "I- maybe we can call someone! did- did you bring your phone?"  I asked, looking desperately at her.  "...no, I- I didn't think I would need it."  

"...God damn it." 

We sat down, leaning against each other, it was cold.  a few minutes past with us just sitting there, tears were building up, but... we heard a low growl in the darkness. it made us jump, I -with shaky hands- pointed the flashlight on the cause of the sound... it was a cat.  "Oh. well, hello little guy!"  Kayla went out to pet the cat, but suddenly stopped, and went back. the jet-black cat purred, rubbing against my knee.  "...what's a cat doing out here?"  I asked Kayla.  "I don't know, but he's so cute!"  she smiled at the feline. that cat made me feel safe, however stupid that sounds.

"We should name it!"  Kayla suggested.  "Yeah! ...what would fit him?"  I looked at the cat as it blinked, a show of trust.  "How about... uhm- Maple! like the tree?"  Kayla said, petting Maple.  "Yes! that's perfect!"  I smiled, happy that we found someone, I almost forgot that we were lost. Maple started to walk away, but looked back, like he expected us to come with. Kayla and I looked at each other, then followed him with no questions.

While the cat led us far, far into the woods, I snapped out of the sort-of trance, and I noticed there was fog everywhere. I stopped and shook Kayla's shoulder.  "Huh? what?"  Kayla turned, confused.  "When did the fog come in?"  I pointed it out, then continuing.  "...and where are we?"

The cat seemed to stare at us, the safe feeling fading slowly. 

it was replaced with utter terror as we realized...