Chapter 3: The Chase.

The cat was staring at us, its eyes thin slits as it... stood up. Maple stretched upwards; my body twitched as we heard its bones crack out, and back into place. It reached taller than us, its ears turned to antlers.  

"...Maple...?"

We both screeched with terror as the humanoid pounced at us. I grabbed Kayla's arm, running faster than I ever had.  "WHAT THE HELL WAS THAT?!"  she screamed; tears could be heard in her voice. Maple: that horrid monster, made a low growl, we could hear loud thumps as it chased us. Streams of salty water came down from my eyes, my leg bones ached with an urge to rest, but I didn't stop, I had to keep Kayla alive.

Kayla and I ran for what felt like hours, after a while we realized the thumping footsteps stopped.  "Is... Is it gone, Bailey?"  She asked, shaking as she took a breath.  "...I think so. ...I'm so sorry I brought you into this."  I cried quietly, sitting on my knees. the ground was moist and covered with messy, crunched up leaves.  "It's... It's not your fault, I'm sorry."  Kayla rapped her jacket around my arms, sitting up against me. we sat for a few minutes, taking in our new surroundings, to our left there was a muddy lake, full of broken tires and what smelled like gasoline.

We lent against a twin tree, its bark felt ruff and real. it was nice to feel something familiar in this forest. while taking a breather, Kayla spoke.  "We'll make it out."  she said firmly. I nodded, hoping she was right. as our tears dried, I rested my head on Kayla's shoulder, I could feel her jaw move as she smiled. I closed my eyes.

As I opened my eyes I wasn't at the lake, or the twin tree. instead: I was in the middle of four trees, they seemed to reach for me as the shine of the moon glistened on my face.  "Where- ...Kayla?!"  I glanced around with panic, only seeing shadows past the tree circle.  "KAYLA!?"  I screamed loud, jumping to my feet, unsure of what to do or where to go. I was alone.

at least I thought.