Chapter 5: Repetition.

Kayla led me through the thick lines of trees, they were only silhouettes in the deep darkness of the half-moon. I could've sworn it was full earlier.  "God. this is a nightmare."  I looked around, almost ready to give up.  "Yeah. but I think I know a way out."  ...  "Really?"  My face lit up with hope.  "How?"  I asked, stopping.  "I spotted some light when I was looking for you, it looked like streetlights."  Kayla said, continuing to move along. We took mostly left turns; it looked like Kayla was barely remembering the way.  

I looked at Kayla, her blonde hair was oddly shiny with the few droplets of moonlight coming out of the leaves. I felt myself smiling without even thinking. it was quiet, but I still enjoyed being around her.  Soon, we saw a light on our right. it glowed like a small flashlight, but I had a feeling it was not man-made.  "Is that what you were talking about?" I asked, pointing to it.  "Yes."  She answered, speed-walking towards it. I felt drawn to the light, like it was safe.

We stepped onto a field of grass; it was almost unsettling how green it was. not neon, or anything, but too green. like it tried to mimic real grass.  "Did we make it out...?"  My voice broke the silence, all the wind, bugs, and any noise stopped. it was really quiet.  "...What's that?"  Kayla avoided my question, pointing to the source of the light. it was a rusty poll holding up a blinding glow that didn't seem to come from anything. next to it was a long white stick, holding itself up on the poll. it looked like a Halloween decoration that was painted over.  "a bone! nice."  Kayla joked, giving a forced chuckle as she picked it up.  "...Oh."  her voice was shaky and disconnected as she stared at the stick.  "OH."  She backed away, letting go of the stick. it fell with a rattle; it sounded like it fell onto a thin metal floor.

She bumped into me, causing us both to fall onto the 'grass.'  "What- WHAT?!"  I held her, filled with confusion.  "GO, GO, GO!"  she yelled, jumping upwards then grabbing me. We ran down the long line of field, on the other side there was more forest, denser and darker. We ran for a long time, not stopping for even a second. it seemed like the place was endless: that is before we found a poll. it was rusty and about 3ft, on top of it was a bright light that was almost blinding. I sighed with relief, then noticed the long white stick that Kayla was staring at. there was sweat dripping down her face, half of her was filled with horror, the other tiredness. I then spoke loudly,

"GOD DAMN IT."