Reds, Greens, Blues and Yellows

*Two months later*

Yelena Belova had never known what a true American Christmas entailed but when she found herself standing outside of the barn the day before Christmas while Kate hung up strings of lights throughout their newly built barn, she started to question things. "Are you sure the animals need twinkling lights, too?"

Kate didn't stop her movements, "of course they do. If they don't have lights how will Santa find them?"

At least she had been able to talk her girlfriend out of decorating the day after Halloween like she had insisted. She had come back from her parents one afternoon in early December and it looked like the crafts store had thrown up all over Natasha's house. When Kate had told her that she found the stuff in her sister's attic, she was only slightly confused, "it looks like a 90s Christmas movie in here," was all she said but didn't complain when Kate handed her a mug full of hot chocolate and asked her to decorate the tree with her. The music was even enjoyable and the Christmas sweater wasn't all that ugly. There had been many trips back and forth to New York since the trial to prepare for their upcoming missions but the majority of the time was spent at their house, relaxing and getting to know each other.

"Santa brings gifts to piglets?" She folded her arms over her chest. "I have never heard of this tradition, Kate Bishop."

"Everyone deserves a present at Christmas time," Kate shrugged as she hung the last strand of lights above the entrance to the barn, "perfect. Santa will surely find Reggie and Stella now."

Okay, Yelena had to admit that it did look very pretty with the fresh fallen snow glistening against the colors. "I thought for sure you'd pick purple lights," she smirked watching her girlfriend descend the ladder.

"Too on brand," she kissed Yelena's cheek, turning to look at the red and green lights. "We are supposed to be impartial inhabitants of this Ohio farm. The bad guys would surely locate us if the house and barn were purple. Plus..."

"You saved most of the purple decorations inside the house?"

"Exactly," she wrapped her arm around Yelena's waist and somehow in just a pair of jeans and a flannel she was emitting warmth. "How are you still producing heat?"

"Russian," she chuckled, "come on let's get inside before your sad American blood starts freezing."

"Are you saying my blood is somehow inferior to yours?"

Yelena traced her fingers along the blush that had formed on her cheeks and nose, "no. Your reaction to the cold is doing that for you. Come. I want to watch that movie again where the little kid fucks up the bad guys. So funny that one is. I put a pizza in the oven."

Kate look over at her girlfriend feeling the intense pull she felt in her heart when she knew Yelena was happy and at peace, "you aren't getting ideas on how to fuck with Peter when he comes out for your birthday are you?" Yelena's smirk told her all she needed to know. "Are your parents upset we will be missing Russian Christmas this year?"

"Yes and no," she held the back door open for Kate. "Mama is a little disappointed we won't get to do all of the traditions but I think she's more excited to start the rescues even if she isn't coming right away. Her new lab will be nice and shiny. Maria has people coming out after we leave to build it. Plus we can still make some Russian food on Christmas Day. Papa does not care. Shots are shots no matter what day you drink them. That's what he told mama. So I think they will be fine."

"What about you?" She was in the middle of pulling the pizza out for the oven when she noticed it was a homemade one and not one from the box. Little things like that were ways that Yelena showed her love. Taking care of her and making sure Kate had everything she could ever need or want without the brunette ever having to ask for anything.