[22] Vela

At this point, I couldn't stop him, not even if I wanted to.

Ilang sandali pa, nakarating na kami sa Nightspell. Nakatulong ang pagbabago ng appearance namin para hindi kami mamukhaan ng ibang mga estudyante at propesor. Well, I was surprised our "target" was free to roam around this part of the building, a restricted wing where the offices are located, but I guess being a student assistant had its perks even in a magical dimension.

O baka naman paborito lang talaga siya ng mga tao rito? I scoffed, 'little miss perfectly spoiled mortal brat.'

If she really is the one who killed Merlin's brother, I feel sorry for her. But then again, that happened a decade ago. Despite the shadowed face, her features looked exactly like it did before. Even Merlin recognized her! Kung hindi siya tumanda, maaaring indikasyon ito na gumamit siya ng isang potion para manatiling bata... or maybe she found the fountain of youth? Maybe she just has a great skincare routine? But why go through the trouble of enrolling in Nightspell?

I can't help but think that something doesn't add up, and surely enough Merlin knows this too.

Nakakainis lang na hindi pa niya ako kinakausap mula pa kanina.

"She'll be here soon," Merlin announced. I have to admit, he looks good with this navy blue hair and eyeglasses but I prefer his original dark locks. The pill can't mask his charms, it seems. Bakit ba ang pogi niya?

'At bakit kabisado mo pa rin ang schedule ng babaeng 'yon? Ugh.'

"Is there a problem, lambkin? Bakit mukha kang sinisikmura?"

I raised an eyebrow. 'Sa tingin mo makakasagot ako? I can't talk, remember?!'

He ignored me anyway.

Beside me, the wizard in training trained his eyes below until they narrowed at the sound of footsteps. Mula sa hiding spot namin sa kisame ng dormitory, nahagip na ng mga mata ko ang babae. She was carrying several spell books, her hair tied up in a neat ponytail on top of her precious little head. It struck me odd how matured she looked with that serious expression on her face, far from the blushing fangirl I saw a few days ago.

She's a bit pretty, okay. But she's not me. 'Di kami magka-level! Never.

Dahil tuwing nakikita ko talaga ang isang 'to, naaalala ko lang ang pagkakalingkis niya kay Merlin!

It doesn't help that they had a (probably one-sided) affair before. How did he even associate himself with the likes of her?

Merlin took out his Elvian wand and casted a spell over the hallway. I watched in awe as giant sheets of transparent glass sealed both ends of the hallway, trapping Geniana.

"Isang salamin?"

She quickly noticed the shift in magic and reached out to the glass before her, eyes widening when she recognized the magical signature of the one who casted it.

"M-Merlin...?"

Before I could even react, Merlin jumped down from where we perched on the wooden support and pulled me with him. Kung may boses lang sana ako, kanina ko pa sinigawan ang isang 'to! Who does he think he is, dragging me around like a fucking rag doll?! Wala ito sa kontrata!

"Hello, Nian."

"Huh, sino ka? Anong gina---?!"

I watched as Merlin gracefully landed on his feet behind her, quickly knocking her out with a swish of his wand before the poor witch could even finish her sentence. Books hit the ground in a messy pile. Agad niyang sinalo ang dalaga at binuhat na parang bagong kasal. Despite the intimate position, his expression was unreadable save from the hint of anger behind his eyes.

I crossed my arms over my chest.

'Getting away with kidnapping now, huh? Ano nang gagawin natin?'

He didn't need to hear me to figure out what I was thinking.

Bago pa man makasagot ang wizard in training, natigilan kami sa nakabibinging tunog ng pagkabasag ng mga salamin. I had to shield myself from the shards of glass as voices erupted from the other end of the hallway.

"At bumalik ang traydor. You have the nerve coming back here!" A blonde yelled and pointed an accusing finger at my Merlin. "At ngayon may biktima ka na naman?!"

Funny. This man can see past the disguise caused by the appearance changing pill. He must be talented... Or maybe he's just too obsessed with my wizard?

But Merlin doesn't even looked threatened, not in the slightest.

"Ano na namang problema mo, Arthur?"

"IKAW! Ikaw ang problema ko---problema naming lahat! Matapos mong patayin si Professor Greco at dalhin sa academy ang halimaw na 'yan?" He glanced at my direction. I hissed at his ugly face. "You're one fine piece of shit, aren't you? Dapat matagal ka nang pinaalis sa academy!"

"I don't give a damn about your opinion. Huwag kang makialam sa ginagawa ko, and that might be the smartest decision you'll ever make in this lifetime."

"WHAT?! Akala mo kung sino kang magaling! Tingnan natin kung may iyayabang ka pa mamaya!"

"Meron pa naman. Gusto mo ng demo?"

Clearly it wasn't even to dispell the tension between them. The boy named Arthur growled, his eyes flared with hatred as he gripped the wand tighter. "WHO THE FUCK DO YOU THINK YOU ARE?! YOU'RE JUST A DAMN CRIMINAL!"

A burst of lightning charged towards us. I got out of the way just in time, but the attack still graze an arm and burned my skin... Shit.

Napangiwi ako sa sakit. Arthur grinned like a rabid dog as his eyes scanned my exposed legs.

"Not bad at all."

Once I get out of these chains, I'll kill this stupid human with my bare hands.

"Vela, are you alright?"

Merlin stood in place, he couldn't move much with the unconscious witch in his arms.

Maya-maya pa, narinig na namin ang batalyon ng mga yapak na papalapit sa amin. Natuod ako sa kinauupuan ko nang makita ang mga ogre na may dala-dalang mga sulo at sandata. Bago pa man kami makatakbo sa kabilang bahagi ng pasilyo, bigla rin kaming hinarangan ng mga ogres na nakapwesto na roon. Their enormous bodies towered over everything else as the beasts made their way towards us, several spears and fire arrows sped through the air.

There were too many of them!

Arthur looked smug, catching Merlin unprepared.

"The Headmaster assigned me as the head of security. Isn't that cool? Well, we do have orders to drag your ass back alive, pero pwede naman akong mag-isip ng dahilan kay Master Zephyr kung sakaling bangkay mo na lang ang maibabalik ko."

Tumalim ang mga mata ni Merlin kay Arthur.

"As if me being dead isn't your top priority already. I knew you were a scum, Arthur, but I didn't think you'd actually go this far..."

"You haven't seen anything yet. Watch!"

Another flash of magic. A crazed look in Arthur's eyes. Pero imbes na patamaan ito kay Merlin, nagulat kami nang bumulusok ito sa pwesto ko.

Merlin froze in place.

"VELA!"

I panicked, cursed under my breath, and tried to get away but the attack spell followed my every move. Shit, this is not good! I was limited by the chains that rattled between us, too weak from my succubus powers being drained and the burn on my arm.

Screw this, I can't even scream!

'But maybe that's something I should be thankful for,' I thought bitterly.

---