🧡🐢 | the rivaling band

mikey x reader

mikey x reader

(requested)

enjoy, lovebirds.
_____

Mikey was known for being in drama club, but what others may not know about him was that he also participated in Eastman High's band. He was a snare drummer, and competitively so. When Eastman High traveled for band competitions, Mikey always furiously gave it his all; there was no mistakes in the drums, according to his section leader, and Mikey took that seriously.

Alas, there wasn't a state competition or anything tonight, only a football game. The band still practiced for it throughout the week for the half-time show. After Eastman High's band performed their songs and formation choreography, Mikey was confident that the rivaling school tonight wouldn't stand a chance. There wasn't a trophy for whose band was the best, no, but there was general humiliation for the worse band. And Mikey would be damned if his band was the worst!

Mikey happily sat in the band section of the bleachers, eagerly watching for the rivaling school to set up and stage. He was beaming with triumph---just to get it blown off his face by the sound of the rival band.

Okay, this was not fair; this band begins an peppily played "Carry On My Wayward Son" and has intricate choreography? Oh, come on.

Mikey started cringing, thinking to himself, "God, we could have done that. Those flag twirlers are so coordinated. Those brass players are so clear. Those woodwinds haven't squeaked even once. Those drums are expertly played."

The members of the rivalry band walk forward, sideways, and backward in a mesmerizing fashion to create beautiful formations. And then they broke out their only majorette?!

Freaking private schools.

Horrified by the genuine talent, Mikey wanted to distract himself from the band by any means possible. He stared at the majorette, who was gracefully skipping down from the front of the band. Her hand was effortlessly twirling a sparkling baton, her legs lifting and occasionally spinning herself around. It was hypnotic. Mikey was surprised there was only one; usually there's three, four or maybe even five majorettes in a school band. Still, she was better than Eastman's---that didn't even have a majorette.

Mikey kept his eyes on the majorette the rest of the performance, unknowingly beginning to smile. Perhaps it was because her smile was so infectious while out on the field. Who knows, Mikey just needed an escape from the slight embarrassment of being the not-better-band.

After the half-time show completed, Mikey mysteriously left the bleachers. He didn't know why, but he felt compelled to go talk to that majorette; which was simply strange, because Mikey was so competitive about band that he never liked anyone on the opposing team. This majorette must have been middle ground, for him.