♖Downfall by Desire♜

The historic battle between Light Yagami and L has reached its peak. Both have used every trick in their book, but they can both tell the end is near. Light has been cornered, and L has the upper hand.

     As L approaches Light with his handcuffs, Light realizes that he's at a high disadvantage with even possibly no escape. But instead of surrendering, Light decides that as his final act, he, Kira, will take L down with him. Light pulls a knife out of his sleeve and swings at L, who quickly reacts and manages to dodge the attack.

     Light leaps forward, grabbing L and forcing him to the ground, dropping the knife in the process. The two get into a fight, each of them trying to get the upper hand. L reaches out and is just barely able to grab ahold of the weapon, pulling it closer to him and in one swift movement, stabbing Light in the gut. Despite the fatal wound on Light's side, neither of them is ready to give up. However, L is clearly losing his strength, and Light is slowly gaining the upper hand.

     Just before L was about to give in, light clutched his side and fell back with a painful expression on his face. He and L both fall to the ground, exhausted. They look at each other for a moment in silence. Then Light, covering his side with his hand, starts to speak, "You won, L. I was always destined to lose."

L looks at Light, surprised by what he said. After a few seconds of silence, he responds.

"No, Light. We both lost. We let our obsessions consume us. We were both willing to go to extreme lengths to achieve our goals. We both became monsters in our own way."

     Light gives a small, tired nod of agreement. "You're right. I let my desire for power consume me, and it led to my downfall."

L sighs, "And I let my obsession with the case cloud my judgment, leading to my own downfall."

     The two look at each other. They realize that even though they were on 2 opposite sides, they were both flawed and that their obsession with their goals had consumed them.

     As Light starts to fade into unconsciousness, they both lie down on the ground, side by side. L and Light look up at the gray clouds moving by while the rain continues to fall down on their bodies, and for a moment, they are both lost in thought.

Suddenly, L speaks up. "Light, do you believe in reincarnation?"

Light looks at L, a bit surprised by the question. "What do you mean?"

     L looks back up at the sky. "I mean, do you think that maybe we could be friends... in another lifetime? Maybe we could meet under different circumstances and become allies instead of enemies."

     Light thinks about it for a moment, then responds, "Yeah, maybe we could... That would be nice." and gives L a soft smile.

     The two continue to lie there, side by side, the rain smearing the blood around Light, making it almost an orangy-red color. L, now lying next to the now dead Kira, Is glad that the criminal responsible for so many deaths is finally gone. Now the government could confiscate the death note and finally put the world back in order, but something didn't feel right, A strange feeling lingered in the air making L shiver.

      L suddenly starts having trouble breathing. He gasps for air; he breaks into a cold sweat as the pressure on his chest grows and grows until he feels like it is about to collapse. The sky is spinning, faster and faster, until his vision goes black, and his body goes limp.