Chapter One

I close the grand doors behind me as I wipe sweat droplets off my forehead. I press my ear against the door to hear any footsteps and let out a breath I didn't even know I was holding. When I can't hear Miss Clarissa's footsteps guarding the halls anymore I look to my left at the grandfather clock on the wall and groan when I see the time. 2:23 am. I lift my body off of the door and smooth down my nightgown. I shift my gaze to the large clutter of books on the floor near a sliding ladder. I tip-toe up the small flight of stairs to inspect the books pick up a few stacked together in a pile and skim over the titles. 

History of Stalchester Palace... Stalchester Records... The Unheard History of Stalchester...

It's all the same, really. The same boring facts about the same boring kingdom, I've heard them all.

I sigh as I pick up a green hardcover book labelled The Torn Pages of Stalchester Palace, The Dark Secrets Behind the Royals.

I take a few steps away from the clutter of books and place myself against the wall. When I begin reading I feel a light tap on my shoulder. I turn to my left to see a girl around the same age as me with auburn hair in messy braids. The moonlight spewing in from the tall window shines against the left side of her face. I realise how close we are and fall backwards onto the ground.

"Shush! You're gonna get us caught!" She whispers while giggling. I lift myself back to sit. "What are you doing here? I thought I was the only one who hid in here." She questions while tilting her head.

"I was running from Miss Clarissa," I whisper while turning back to my book.

"Why were you running from her? Was she trying to kill you?" The girl spoke softly. I giggled a little and tried to stifle my laughter.

"No, I was trying to steal some food from the hall," I explained. The girl nodded silently and leaned over my shoulder to read what I was reading. "Don't even bother, they're all the same."

"No, they're not," She begins "No two books are the same. Each book tells a different story, even if it says the same things." I look at her with a perplexed look on my face. She sighs as she starts again "The story may be the same, but the history of each book is different. The hands that have touched the cover, the fingers that have turned the pages, the eyes that have absorbed its words... that's where the real history is." She looks back at me and holds her hand out. "I'm Mae, by the way."

I take her hand. "Nadine."

She takes her hand away and smiles at me. "You should probably go to your dorm; Miss Clarissa sometimes comes in here. She likes to read some... stuff. Plus, it's getting late." Mae whispers while shuffling back to a small pile of pillows.

"Yeah, right... I'll see you around. Goodnight!" I say in a hushed tone while going down the stairs.

"Night."

~

I walk back to my dorm room, being careful not to make a single sound. Being out of your dorm during sleeping hours can result in cleaning duties. If I get cleaning duty my mother will make me live in this dreadful place. It's not like I already do. I've been living at St Chatbiens Boarding House for Royals since I was 10 years old. I know how things work around here.

No running in the halls.

No skipping class.

No second piercings.

No unnatural hair colours.

No leaving dorms outside of 9:30 pm.

No more than 2 servings of food at mealtimes.

No talking above inside voices.

And around 50 more rules.

The talking one may seem like a joke, but it really isn't. A boy got cleaning duty for 3 weeks because he raised his voice.

But that's not the point.

For 6 years I've been almost completely friendless. Not a single person bothered to say hi to me when I came here. The only friend I ever had was back at home, and he was amazing.

His name was Eryn.

I remember the last time I saw him. It pains me to think about it.

Chapter 1 published! Thanks for reading, byee