Chapter Four

A/N Hiiii! I'm so sorry I haven't been uploading recently, I was on holiday for 2 weeks and didn't have access to my laptop. Then I got sick for a little bit and didn't have motivation, and school started again for me. I then took a few days to figure out the plot of the book and tie some strings about what was happening! So here's chapter 4, hope you like it! 

______________________

I slump my shoulders over as I fiddle around with my eggs. My eyes are almost glued shut and I try to rub the sleep out of my eyes.

"Seems like you had a good sleep," Melissa says as she plops down in her chair. "Your hair is a mess, by the way."

I groan and shove my head into my hands.

"If you weren't banging around the room all night then maybe I wouldn't be in this state," I grumble through my palms.

"Jesus, sorry for making noise, you weren't the only one who was up late at night mind you." She sighs and shoves a spoonful of oatmeal in her mouth. My ears prick up from the gentle stomps on the floor from Ms Clarissa's heels. I bring my shoulders back and pat down the top of my hair so I look presentable. I lean my head towards my food so she can't see my face. I don't know if she saw my face or not last night, but if she did, that means trouble.

"Miss Wilson." Shit.

"Yes, Ms Clarissa?" I squeak. I can see from the corner of my eye Melissa clenching her fists, which either means she's worried or trying to hold in her laughter. Maybe both.

"Next time when you come to the table, at least make yourself presentable. If I catch you one more time with your hair in this state it's cleaning duty for the afternoon. Understand?" She says with a stern tone.

"Yes Ms Clarissa, I understand."

"Lovely. And Miss Philips?" She glares at Melissa

"Yes, Ms Clarissa..." She grumbles and turns her face to her.

"Do not eat before we say grace. And do not show me any of that attitude, don't think I didn't see that eye roll. You are on thin ice, Miss Philips. One more time and I'm writing to your parents. Is that understood?" She booms. Everyone's heads turn to look at Melissa. I see a hint of fear in her eyes as she looks back down at her lap.

"Yes, Ms Clarissa. It... it won't happen again." She mumbles.

"I didn't hear you, Miss Philips."

"Yes, Ms Clarissa. It won't happen again." Melissa says, louder now. Miss Clarissa moved away from our area and sat down in her seat.

Everyone joins hands to say grace.

"God is great, and God is good, let us thank Him for our food; By His blessings, we are fed, Give us Lord, our daily bread. Amen." Everyone starts to eat their breakfast, and Ms Clarissa stands up to say the notices.

"Everyone, I must inform you that the end of the year is coming around in a few months, which means most of you will be going home for the Christmas holidays. If not, however, you will be staying in the boarding house for the holidays, unless you can find money to pay for accommodation. Those who are staying in the boarding house will be free to leave the boarding house and go to the market if they are over 16, which is our senior students. If you are part of the younger cohort, you must either be accompanied by a senior student or you will stay inside." She pauses to take a breath. "Moving onto other notices, our grade twelves will be taking their final exams in 3 days, so use your free time to study. A reminder that if you get less than 40 per cent on more than one of your exams, you will be held back and have to take the grade again with our grade elevens."

I look at Melissa as she drops her spoon back into her bowl.

"I forgot I was in year 12." She whispers. "I'm gonna fail."

"Last night I saw a presumable senior student running around the halls and kitchens after hours. I must remind you that being out of dorm rooms after 9:30 p.m. is strictly prohibited and will result in 2 weeks of cleaning duty. I'm looking at you, Miss Philips. Thank you for listening, you may eat in quiet chatter now." Ms Clarissa takes a seat back down at her table.

"She was talking about you, wasn't she?" Melissa whispers in my ear. I whip my head around to look at her.

"Well obviously, what other senior student would have the guts to run around after hours apart from you or me?"

"Correction- just me. You would never have the guts to pull a stunt like that again unless you were dying of starvation. Now shut up and eat your food- I need fuel for the intense study session I'm about to have in my free period."

_____

773 words, byeeeee