Chapter 11

JASMINE

It was a cool evening, and I happened to be in a bar near campus because I had a friendly hangout with Adam. He texted me earlier about us hanging out "just as friends' and rekindling whatever friendship we had left. I agreed to it without having second thoughts, I guess I didn't want our friendship to die.

It's currently 7pm and I'm sat here in the bar chilling with a book I took along to read and while away time. After a few minutes, I check the time and it was about 7:30 and Adam hasn't showed up.

He was never late when we went for dates..

Well, whatever! This wasn't a date, it was just a friendly hangout.

I decide to read the novel I took along instead of waiting like a fool, I take a look at the time on my phone again and now 20 minutes has passed. 'Is he really ditching me on purpose?' I think to myself, well there was one thing I was perfect at and that was patience, so I decide to waiting a little more before calling it a night.

I see the bar door open, and take a look immediately seeing if he was here, and yes, he was here. In walked Adam, I close the novel on my hands, place it on the table and stand up with a bright smile on my face as he walks towards me grabbing me in for a hug.

"I thought you were gonna stand me up, silly" I chuckle.  He sits in the spot reserved for him as I sit back in mine close to him.

"I'm sorry, Jasmine, I had to run a few errands for my uncle before I got here"

"Oh your uncle, Jeremy's coach?" He nods in response to my question.

"Am I forgiven?" He pouts which makes me smile and roll my eyes at him.

"Yes" I giggle with excitement. I've missed him, I will not lie.

                                             ***

We ordered just drinks because we were only spending a short time here, I was having beet juice and Adam was having rum and coke.

"You know you never really got to tell me about your college life" I say, starting a conversation.

"Uhm.. it's good, I've been on and off you know I'm mostly at trainings" he says. "Oh,...but you do know college should be your number one priority right now" I say, then instantly regretting say that after he gives me a weird look.

"Jasmine you know basketball is my number one priority, and you were the one who always told me to put my dreams before anything"

"Yeah but-"

"But nothing" he interrupts, looking so damn serious. I stare at him a bit surprised at his response, I was looking for the right thing to say but nothing was coming up.

"I'm sorry" was all I said. He narrows his eyes looking at me in a not so obvious but confused way, he shakes his head and asks "for what?"

"I.. I don't know" he reaches for my hand across the table.

"Are you okay?" He asks.

"Yeah, I'm okay" I reply almost immediately. But the thing was, in that moment he talked about his priorities, I saw myself falling back into memories of us in high school, when he was always so passionate about basketball and how I pushed him into not giving up when he felt like he was going to, and then it hit me now that minutes ago when he said he was mostly at trainings, I didn't remember he was talking about basketball, I didn't remember how passionate he was, I didn't remember any of it and it made me realise I was loosing memories of him.

"Adam, you know I support you right?" I ask looking into his eyes.

"You always have" I smile at his response.