Chapter 11: Too Much Skin

Carter leaned against the kitchen entryway, watching Anna peer out the window. Her back was turned toward him, giving him a full view of her wavy red curls. He had run his fingers through them many times since he'd known her but never felt how he felt about her now.

Everything had changed for him.

"Anna?"

Anna whirled around, startled. How long had he been standing there? "Hey, Carter." She tried to hide her eyes. She had been crying and didn't want him to know.

But, of course, he saw right through her as always.

"What is it? What's wrong?"

She threw up her hands. "You have to ask? Tony is trying to destroy everything I've built. He nearly killed Asa. I don't know him, but he seems to be a good person. I've lost my husband and my patients. If I go back to Wallford, he'll have me killed. Next to go is my sanity."

Carter ran his hands through his curly hair. "I know this is a lot for anyone to deal with."

"Nothing I knew about him was real." She shook her head. "He was just putting up a front, Carter. He projected the husband figure he knew I wanted while murdering people." Anna wrapped her arms around her stomach. "I'm sick. I think about Tony and feel sick."

"Well, you don't have to worry about him anymore. The pack will protect you."

He was missing the point. "I'm terrified he'll kill one of you. Do you have any idea how that would make me feel? Especially since it will probably be you. He's never liked you, Carter."

He chuckled. "I've never cared much about him either."

A sad smile graced Anna's lips. "Are we going to your place now? Is that why you came to find me?"

He sighed. "There's been a change of plans, Anna. Asa wants us to stay here with David and Sarah. He wants to ensure that there are two wolves at each location. After what happened, Asa thinks it will be safer."

She chewed on her lower lip. "I don't know that it will. When Tony discovers I'm here, he may target this place. He may already know I'm here."

"Do you believe he'll try and kill you?"

"Without a doubt. When I read what Tony had written in his 'glory' book, I knew I had to get out. Discovering his secret would be grounds for murder. He trusts no one."

"Is everything okay in here?"

Carter and Anna whirled around. Sara stood in the center of the kitchen, one eyebrow arched.

"Yeah," Carter answered. "Why?"

"David and I finished our movie, but you're still in the kitchen." She chuckled. "He sent me to check on you two."

Heat rushed to Carter's cheeks. How long had he watched Anna? It didn't feel like much time had passed, but it had been long enough for Sara and David to finish a movie?

You got a thing for her, huh?

Carter's eyebrows rose. Finn had been quiet lately. He spoke very little, so when he did, Carter knew something significant was coming. Maybe. I've imprinted on her. What's it to you?

Finn laughed. I've missed you, Carter.

Where have you been?

Close. I've been watching. Remember how I said you weren't ready?

Carter knew what he spoke about. He was the only one whose power hadn't manifested. He and Perri. Finn told him he wasn't ready, and it would only surface when Carter would need it most. I remember.