Chapter 7 - Knotted Wool to Spun Threads

(Artist: @Mochi_cake04 on Twitter! If you wish for any art from you to be taken out of this fan fiction, plz comment! Thx!) (it's so freaking cute omg-)

It's been several cycles. Five Pebbles and I had spent every night going outside to watch the comet slowly run back off into the skies among the stars. Seeing that comet ignited something in him, a sense of affection, but as well as that a sense of curiosity. He began to look forward to looking at the stars and the world around him, and I loved watching him walk around in the fields in a renewed sense of wonder. I helped slowly introduce him to the world outside of his room by easing him into it by staying on the planes and safer areas of the structure. Currently, we were wandering the planes, just enjoying the sun together. It's surprisingly not as chilly up here as it's supposed to be, but I'm pretty sure that's because these structures run hot. Either way, it's nice.

I was holding his hand, walking around at a leisurely pace. I looked at the city. "So, you said you requested some fabric from somewhere?" I asked, recalling that he ordered something for his cloak, but I couldn't remember what or from who. I'm pretty sure it was fabric related. He nodded. "I picked out a few colors of wool from a far off neighbor. I don't think I mentioned them yet." He began. "They've been taking up agricultural hobbies, and became a rather prominent figure in terms of farming and ranching. We all take up hobbies from time to time, so I suppose they found something they enjoy in their free time." He said, looking around. I chuckled a bit. "Free time? Are you the only workaholic in the group or are they an oddball?" "I-" He paused, and huffed, refusing to respond. His silence told me what I needed to know. "Glad I got here then, seems like you need to be reminded you have to take a break." I giggled, joking with him. I was happy I got here when I did, I'm scared to think what could have happened if no one was there to talk to him while he was having a meltdown. He still has his moments, but they weren't as bad.

"I... I am thankful..." he mumbled, his voice quieter. I smiled, and bumped him with my hip. "Me too..." I said, smiling.

"So what color did you get? Or did you get multiple?" He thought for a moment, not moving much besides walking. I noticed he wasn't a particularly animated talker. "I requested vermilion and midnight blue dyed wool, as well as a few other colors just in case I feel like making something else." He explained, a touch nervous in what he was saying, but I couldn't tell why. "Ah cool. Got some inspiration from the comet, ey?" I asked, curious about the sudden difference in color from the darker gradient to his original sunset colors. "What can I say? It was a memorable event." He turned his head up a bit with his eyes closed. He's right, of course, for one reason or another. I shrugged, and continued walking.

Soon enough, I saw something in the sky. I squinted, and held a hand over my eyes to look at it better. It was a little black dot coming closer. Five Pebbles noticed, and looked over. "Ah, speak of the worm and it shall appear." He said, as it came closer. I think that's the thing delivering the wool, it's holding something beneath it. It had a crate of some kind in tow. "Should we head back?" I asked, looking over at him. He nodded. "Just to make things easier. We can walk more later." He replied, rubbing his thumb over the back of my hand. I smiled a bit. "Alright, probably a good thing anyway. I keep getting dust in my eyes." I chuckled, and suddenly got an idea. I let go of his hand, and saw him glance at me. "I'll race you there!" I said quickly before dashing off. He made a surprised noise. "Hey!" He called out, as he ran after me. I laughed, running across the field. I saw him run past, which was a bit surprising as I only saw him run toward the crater - which was since picked at for scraps. He was rather fast. I leaned a bit, and ran to catch up with him.

We reached the ditch that led into the entrance of his structure, and slowed down, but he seemed to have a hard time slowing down and fell again. I was beside him, so I reached over to catch him before he fell on his face. He is surprisingly light, but maybe he was just made of lightweight materials. He panted while standing back up to his needlepoint feet. "Thank you." He said, raising his arms up and sort of behind his head. I looked at him, and glanced down at his chest. I doubt he had actual muscle, or at least the kind that were able to be exercised or visibly seen, but he seemed to have some vague lines of pectorals and abdominal muscle-like shapes. His arms had a light trace of muscle as well, but they were rather spindly, and the lines weren't extremely visible. I blushed a bit, and looked back up at him. "W-what are you doing?" I said between breaths. I survived in the wasteland for a while and I'm his retriever, so I'm used to running, but I was also a bit flustered. He hummed, closing his eyes for a moment. "My puppet is beginning to heat up. I'm setting up my vents." He said, as a few invisible panels collapsed inward, and slid up into him. It was a trio of slots on his chest, one in his forehead, and one in the backs of his hands. I whistled, looking at all of his little vents. "Your design continues to surprise and fascinate me." I said, watching him steadily relax. He looked content just venting hot air. He's so full of surprises.