Chapter 12 - Last Moments of Peace

(Artist: @Fire_Bay on Twitter! If you wish for any art from you to be taken out of this fan fiction, plz comment! Thx!)

---

I was in Five Pebbles' room with him. As per usual he was working, and I was munching on the last of the popcorn from earlier. It was a peaceful afternoon, and I was pretty excited as today is the anniversary of our first meeting, and I had planned something nice for the two of us. I know it's unorthodox to celebrate this kind of thing, but I wanted to do something to let him know how much I've enjoyed his company for this year. I planned to build a fire surface-side and prepare dinner for us in a lovely place in the city. I made sure to keep some food nearby the site so I could prepare it there.

I didn't eat much yet, just because I wanted enough room for the feast later, and I wanted to keep this a surprise so I had the excuse that I ate on the way here in case he asked. I looked over to see him drifting about in his infinite dance of information. I reached out for him. "Fi, can I talk to you for a sec?" I asked, getting his attention. He came toward me, and picked me up. "What is it?" He asked, as he began to float around again. "So, I was thinking about doing a new route today? I saw one earlier we could do together." I told him, smiling. He nodded. "Of course, I'd love to explore a new place with you. When do you want to go?" He asked, looking around at some holograms. "Maybe in an hour or two?" I said, as I nuzzled into his shoulder. "Of course, love." He leaned his head against mine. I sighed softly, content and relieved that he didn't catch on to anything.

Now all I have to do is wait...

I was walking along the old path through the city with his hand in mind, listening to the distant indistinguishable sounds that became comfortable ambient white noise. All around us were overhanging shadows of the tall buildings in the evening rays, casting vibrant hues of orange and a dusty blue over the entire city. I looked over to see him humming and kinda bobbing his head side to side as we wandered. A smile spread across my face, watching him wander absentmindedly. Why is he so cute? I thought to myself. I looked beyond him and saw something. A little creature with a black bug body, long spindly antennae, and teal and orange dotted colored orbs hanging off their back. My smile only grew as I stopped in place. He glanced at me. "Hm?" He looked at me, then to the bug. I reached over to grab a spear. "What is that...?" He whispered. "An Eggbug." I let go of his hand, and walked past him. "Wanna watch how I hunt?" I asked, glancing over my shoulder at him. He hesitantly nodded.

I grew giddy, excited to hunt. I came close to the Eggbug, hiding behind a large nearby pipe that connected to a structure, as he watched from a short distance. I sat for a moment, ready to deliver a swift spear into their back, but then it glanced at me, and started skittering away quickly. Well then, change of plans. I dashed from where I was crouching, giving chase to the swift bug. I kept my eyes trained on it. I felt the wind rush past me, and the grass and dirt under my feet, the feeling deeply invigorating me. I forgot how much I missed hunting.

Through alleyways, and side streets, we eventually came back to the path. They were fast, but from being here a few times before, I know what I'm doing. I grabbed a poll and jumped up to a nearby platform, then continued to chase the bug. I watched it zip around, unsure where to go in the slim trail through the city, until we came to the clearing we were in earlier.

I was debating stopping at the edge so I could throw my spear, but then I got an idea. I sped up. The skittering bug zoomed around in the clearing where I could see Five Pebbles standing near the side out of the corner of my eye. I ran faster, and as I came to the edge of the platform, I directed my momentum as best as I could, and hurled myself into the clearing. I was a good height in the air, and landed near the bug, my sights and spear trained as it zipped too close. Before it could skitter away again, I launched the spear at it, pinning it to the floor. Thankfully it died instantly, no pain or suffering included.