Part 4

He turned and left, grinning idiotically and not listening to a word I said.

"Don't come back!" I shouted behind him, but he just waved without even turning, although I was sure he was laughing, his shoulders shaking uncontrollably.

Days passed, then weeks and months, and without failure, Silas would visit me every other day. Sometimes he would come by just to bring me something, then run back. Other times we would spend hours together, talking and laughing. He would even help me pick herbs or crush them for tinctures and oils. Oddly, I felt at ease around him, but what was truly strange was how the beasts allowed him to walk freely through their territory. A beast knows a man's heart. That much was true, but it didn't make it any less peculiar.

And as such, seasons changed. Autumn, Winter, and most of the Spring came and went in a heartbeat.

"A tulip, for the most beautiful woman in the world." Silas bowed in front of me, fluttering his cloak behind him.

"That's a bit of an overstatement, don't you think?" I rolled my eyes at him, but I was happy.

"Not at all."

He raised and pushing a strand of hair out of my face, placed the little white tulip behind my ear. He touched my cheek with the tips of his fingers, dragging them softly down towards my lips. I closed my eyes, and I felt him drawing closer, his breath tickling my skin, his lips brushing over mine, but then he sighed and pulled back.

I opened my eyes, confused. I knew he wasn't a coward, and he purposely made things to make me comfortable. But I could tell what happened. It wouldn't have been the first time we kissed, and although it started like a dare game, it twisted quickly into a different type of desire.

Silas frowned at the ground, while squeezing my shoulders through the light cloak.

"Come with me." He raised his eyes, his glance clouded by fear. He fought with himself to say those words, but they came out as if they were boiling inside him, the pressure becoming unbearable.

"You know I can't." I shook my head.

"I will protect you!" He squeezed me harder.

"Silas, it's not that simple." I reached for his face. "The only reason I can keep living here is because the townspeople don't believe I am human, but some sort of mythical creature with the face of one."

"They would never harm you."

"If they find out my true nature, they will kill me no matter how much power you think you have. You may be the Lord of this region, but you are not above the King, nor his orders. And the last thing I wish is to be confined like a bird in a golden cage because I'm too scared that anyone will find out."

"You still don't trust me." He turned his face away.

"It's not like that." I pleaded, searching for his eyes. "But think about it this way. If I am discovered, you will be in danger as well. They will charge you with treason for ignoring a royal order and will kill you too. I don't want you to suffer such a fate."

"So, you would rather have me suffer from loneliness and longing," he said, saddened.

"You will forget me, and, in time, you will find yourself a woman — a lady — worthy of standing by your side." I smiled, but Silas just turned and left without another word, with his head and shoulders dropped, but with clenched fists and pressed steps.

This was for the best.

It had to be.

***