Part 10

It took two days to get them to open their eyes and another three to get them strong enough to stand. Within a week, there was barely any sign of affliction left, and after one more, they were as good as new, running left and right, screaming and giggling, and happily calling for their mother.

Silas visited a few times, updating us on the investigation. His retainers tracked the so-called alchemist and were bringing him back; now it was only a matter of time until he confessed his connection to Grain. In the meantime, we invited Roselyn and her children to live in the castle as guests, and although she refused at first, Silas insisted until she changed her mind.

"Uncle Silas!" the children squeaked as he dismounted his horse.

"You can't call him that!" Roselyn scolded them, but they ran away giggling. "I'm very sorry, your lordship; they are young and don't know any better."

"No need to fret, and to be frank, I quite enjoy the adornment. Perhaps I should get all the children in town to call me uncle." He laughed.

"Talk about being silly. Is this something that comes with age?" I mocked him playfully.

"No. It's something you are born with. Are you ready to go?"

"We are." I smiled.

"Good. I ordered for a horse and cart to come and pick you up. It should be here any moment now," he addressed to Roselyn. "We shall meet you at the castle." And grabbing me by the waist, Silas lifted me onto the saddle and mounted behind me, kicking the horse to go. "As for you, milady... how could you have the heart to leave me alone for so long?" he whispered in my ear.

"Oh? And how would you have managed the situation in my place?"

"I'm sorry, I didn't mean to sound like that, but I hated knowing you in those conditions, and then you refused to move the children into the castle faster... I admit I felt lonely." He nuzzled his face against mine, his stubble stinging my cheek.

"People are staring," I said, going red at all the curious glances turning our way.

"I don't care. They should know by now that you are the future Lady of the castle, and I am absolutely smitten with you-"

"Silas!" I cut him off.

"We don't need to talk about this now."

"Good, because all I want right now is to take a long bath, and a change of clean clothes."

"Water is getting heated as we speak, and I had the seamstress make you a new dress."

"You are spoiling me."

"Am I not supposed to?" he smirked.

I opened my mouth but got distracted by a horse rushing our way. Sir Morgan stopped in front of us, distress twisting his face, and in a single breath poured the words that twisted my heart in fear.

"My Lord! The Cardinal is advancing towards the town."

"I wasn't informed of any visit from the Cathedral. Are you sure they're coming here?" Silas frowned and tightened an arm around me.

"I fear so, my Lord."

"Understood. Let's rush to the castle; we need to prepare a suitable welcome in the little time we have. Alana, I will need you to stay by my side at all times, at least until we find out the reason behind this visit."

The Cardinal arrived at the castle later that evening, in a white carriage pulled by four stallions, and followed by a convoy formed out of so many guards and attendants they filled the castle's market, and there were still more waiting to pass through the gates. Silas waited patiently at the top of the stairs, with his hands clasped behind his back, as the carriage door opened, and the Cardinal stepped out.

"Your Excellency!" his voice thundered through the market. "Welcome to my humble home. If I'd known you were coming, I would've prepared a more suitable reception for someone of your importance." Silas bowed respectfully, along with everyone else in the market.

"No need to fret, young Lord. I am not here on official business but to visit an old friend."

"I understand, but I'm afraid we will need a bit of time to find accommodation for all your attendants."

"No need for that. I shall keep with me only a handful; the rest will set camp outside the town."

The Cardinal was a small, round-shouldered man, with a deeply wrinkled face and a gentle smile. Leaning his weight on his golden cane, he flicked a hand, the simple gesture setting the attendants in motion, and within minutes, by the Cardinal's side remained two attendants and six guards.

"It shouldn't be a problem like this, am I right?"

"No, your Excellency. This is perfect. Thank you for your consideration. I will have one of my retainers escort you to your chambers, and with your blessing, I would like to throw a feast in your honour."

"That would be most excellent," the Cardinal chuckled.

He seemed like a reasonable person, but as soon as he passed by me on his way inside, an icy chill went through my body as he measured me from head to toe with a single glance.

Somehow, I convinced Silas to let me stay in my room during the feast, with the condition I wouldn't open the door for anyone but him.

As the celebration went on, I could hear from my room the music and the echoing laughter. They were probably going to be at it until the early hours, so there was a tiny chance for Silas to come and find me earlier than that. I went to bed and changed into a nightgown, pulling to the side the heavy covers. Just as I was about to blow out the candle, I heard someone knocking; three times, with a minor break between the last two.

Silas!

I jumped right out on the cold floor and ran excitedly to the door, unlocked it, and opened it as fast as I could.

But I was wrong.

I was so wrong.