I. New

New(adjective): having but lately come to a place, position, status, etc.:

Rylan's POV

Wiping the sweat off my forehead with the back of my hand I straightened up, my back let out cracks as I did so from being in an awkward position for god knows how long "All done." I spoke blandly to myself, the half-priced apartment I had probably still paid too much for looked somewhat inviting after moving all my belongings into it.

I hadn't had much, after all I was twenty-two year old starting over in a place I was unfamiliar too, but I intended to make the best out of it.

Scribbling down a few items on a stray piece of paper I tucked it in my back pocket along with what money I had left over (Just over fifty dollars), I set out onto the small town of Langston Shores California.

The rickety stairs creaked below me as I descended them feeding more to the reasons to ignore the elevator, if the stairs weren't put together then I sure as heck don't trust a the elevator they had.

The sun washed over my face accompanied by the smell of salt water and fresh baked bread coming from the small bakery just across the street.

The town had the essentials, a grocery store, a couple diners here and there, small trinket stores and antique shops, a bar and on the outer edge, a small furniture shop which I've heard draws in the majority of the town's revenue.

Walking down the make shift sidewalks my eyes scanned over the area, people were scattered about the town, some gave me looks as I past and others, the more friendly folk, smiled and welcomed me to the town.

After walking out of the grocery store with a bag in each hand curiosity pulled me towards the small, cabin like, furniture store. Walking in I was hit with the pleasant smell of wood and pine sol, the store held all types of chairs and couches, most made of wood covered with a cushion for better comfort.

I placed my bags by the door before walking deeper into the store, my fingers traced over the what looked to be hand carved wood.

"Beautiful aren't they?" A voice startled me slightly, turning my head I saw a women leaning against the front counter with a small, warming smile on her face "You must be new to town, I'm Pattie." Her hand extended out from her apron "Rylan." Returning her smile I shook her hand, after a few moments my gaze dropped back down to the chair I had previously been looking at.

"You hand carve all of this?" I asked curiously looking back up at her "I don't, my son does, he has been making furniture like this since he was a little one, of course he started out making small pieces for his sisters dollhouse but now he does pretty much anything he can carve from wood." She explained, her eyes gleamed at the mention of her son, a tall tale sign she was a proud mother, and with good reason.

"I just moved into the apartment building up the street, I have everything I need except for a bedside table, do you have any of those?" Glancing briefly around the store she looked deep in thought, after a small minute of silence her eyes met mine again "Ya know I think I just sold our last one to Bruce, I can have Justin make one for you, just a regular bedside table?" She questioned drifting behind the desk, nodding I approached it "Yea, nothing fancy." A sigh escaped my lips, Pattie wrote something down on a pad of paper before tearing it from the pad "It should be ready sometime this week so just stop by when you've got time." She smiled stuffing the small paper in her apron pocket, nodding appreciatively I collecting my groceries "Have a good day hon, if you need anything feel free to come and ask." I didn't even have to see her to know she had a smile on her voice.

Just as I was about to walk out I suddenly stopped "Hey Pattie." I turned to face back into the store, she looked up humming for me to continue "Do you know anywhere I can get a job around here?" Letting out a soft puff of air she walked towards me "There is a diner just down the road across from the bar, they are always looking for help."