Chapter 48

Did she like Stefan?

As a human being, obviously. But romantically? Perhaps not anymore. If it had been a month ago when Cynthia was still having trouble adjusting to Bronte, and Stefan was helping her whenever she needed it, her answer would have been different. As the girl had mentioned. It was an infatuation, and she felt it too. It was the natural attractiveness that Stefan held, alongside his charming and kind personality, was what had made Cynthia think she liked the golden haired boy.

But right now, in this very moment, when she was dancing with that same boy, her mind drifted off to somewhere else. More specifically, her mind had been nothing but occupied by a certain someone.

What annoyed her the most was Lucian's mood swings. He stayed in silence most of the time when Stefan was around Cynthia, and he returned to his friendly self in the absence of the said boy. The girl had tried many a time to bring up the issue over and speak about it directly to Lucian. But the blue eyed boy was too clever to dodge the question somehow, every single time.

But it would be a lie to say that Cynthia Kiorsa did not fully understand Lucian's change of behaviour.

Cynthia couldn't help but sigh when her eyes locked with Lucian's fiery glare. He was standing at the far end of the hall, leaning against the wall, with a glass full of a soft drink in his hand. Many girls approached Lucian who was looking exceptionally dashing tonight, but he turned them all down. In fact, Cynthia will probably not be able to tell a single second when Lucian hadn't taken his eyes off from her and Stefan. The way he was clenching the glass in his hand was concerning.

Cynthia knew that it would be rude to leave Stefan in the middle when the song hadn't even ended. In fact, before Lucian could, Stefan had asked her out, for the dance. Hence, the girl's eyes began searching for a certain blonde, possibly for help, but seeing her having her own little time, Cynthia knew it was best to not bother her.

"What has been troubling your mind lately?"

Stefan's gentle voice made Cynthia break her eye contact with Lucian.

"Nothing." Cynthia subtly shook her head.

"Well, maybe this sad but pretty lady needs a little twirl?"

Cynthia giggled when, in an attempt to cheer her mood up, Stefan twirled her around until holding the girl close to him.

To say she felt awkward would be an understatement. Cynthia was feeling beyond uneasy, as for the past few weeks she had been avoiding Stefan's affections. The only problem was the fact that Cynthia still had not learnt to properly speak her mind, just to anyone. Considering the fact that she had known Stefan just for one and a half month, the constant worry of hurting the poor boy's feelings, ultimately, worried her. Not that Cynthia led him on or anything. She always made sure to change the subject or dodge his intimate actions. She could not be as free she was with Lucian, in terms of sharing everything.