chapter twenty-one

Chapter Twenty-One

Bonnie Bennett slid her foot into her sliver heels, buckling the latch around her upper leg. While she had claimed that she had shoes, Mina went all out saying that no cousin of hers would look anything less than a million dollars.

Bonnie pushed herself up from the soft plush couch, her legs already missing the warm sensation. She tested out the heels, making sure she could walk in them without her feet threatening to tip her over. The witch ran her fingers down her smooth red dress, brushing out the wrinkles as it hugged her curves. She looked at herself in the mirror.

She almost couldn't recognize herself.

The only downside is that she wished she wouldn't have let Mina talk her out of wearing a jacket because she was already about to freeze half to death.

Not being able to change the past, no matter how much she wanted to, she reached over to grab her purse and slung it over her shoulders. She took her time heading to the door, making sure she could walk in these heels before leaving.

The heels clicked against the hardwood stairs, alerting the house of her presence. At the bottom of the staircase, Klaus was obviously waiting for her. Instantly, she reached out to the railing. Falling in front of no one would be painful, but falling in front of Klaus would be humiliating.

The hybrid waited until she had reached the second to last step before reaching his hand out, guiding her past the steps. "You look–"

"Like I'm about to fall?" Bonnie jokingly finished for him. Klaus smiled at her, forcing her eyes to dart away in embarrassment.

"I was going to say stunning, but yours works too," He chuckled. Before he could finish complimenting her, a blur flashed before him. Groaning, and knowing exactly who it was, he sighed. "Henrik, you're supposed to be asleep."

Henrik Mikaelson tapped the watch on his arm, waking it. When 9:08 flashed up at him, he only looked at his brother, wondering if he remembered that he was legally seventeen. "Bonnie, darling, you look amazing. Nik should look better having you on his arm."

Bonnie giggled, slapping the boy's arm playfully. "Thank you, Henrik. And you too, Klaus. Despite what Henrik says, you don't look so bad yourself."

The trio took the next few minutes engaging in stupid conversations that occasionally had Klaus looking as if he wanted to kill the younger boy. In protection, Bonnie slid between the two. When the conversation ceased and silence took them over, Henrik went into the kitchen, desperate to try the salad he had gotten from the sandwich place nearby.

Bonnie and Klaus weren't alone for long because Elijah came in, his fingers digging keys out of his pocket. He looked up for a second, tossing Klaus the keys to the Porsche out front before grabbing his own off the coffee table. With a nod, Elijah exited the house, acting as if he had never even seen Bonnie.

Bonnie, in return, ignored him right back."We're taking two separate cars?" Bonnie asked, following Klaus to the other side of the garage.

The hybrid only opened the passenger door and Bonnie understood his silence. Elijah was too upset to let her ride. Thanking him, she stepped in ducking to avoid hitting her head. She sighed, leaning back in the seat and getting lost in her thoughts.

Everything in her life had changed so fast and while she couldn't say she hated the change, she was debating what she should feel about everything. Declaring it her life's mission to kill Klaus and then living with him are two very different sides of the spectrum.

"If you're having doubts about this, I do not mind taking you back home," Klaus started. "I do not want you to be uncomfortable."

Bonnie tried not to smile, but she couldn't help it. "Uncomfortable isn't the word... Confused is a better one."