Chapter One: Rents due, time to pay

I closed my room door with the tiniest click, revealing my deceit. Celia strictly prohibited using the back stairs in her boarding house unless an emergency ensued. An urgent situation arose, but I doubted my devastatingly beautiful, much older landlady would agree to my subjective claim.

Only one wooden board groaned as I crept down a winding staircase, but that slightest of mousy squeaks gave me up. Just a few feet away, her parlor door was a final obstacle, standing between me and a surreptitious escape. I might as well be a matchstick amid tempestuous seas with no chance of vanishing without shame.

"Andrew, you've avoided me for days now. It's silly."

"Fuck!"

"Never mind, fuck, get in here now."

"Sorry... did I say that aloud, Celia?"

"Yes. You're a naughty boy, Andrew."

"I'm sorry about my late rent payment."

"Oh, I couldn't care less about that. I'm cross because you've avoided me."

"Okay, well, I'm sorry about that too."

"Am I not approachable, or do you think me a cruel and unscrupulous boarding house landlady?"

"No, Celia, you've been very kind since I moved to London for work."

"Sit down and enjoy a breakfast before you rush through traffic to your office."

"I haven't paid for it, though."

"You will soon enough."

I sat at the community dining table, glancing between Celia's stunning pencil skirt tight ass and a news stream on her kitchen/diner TV screen. I couldn't recall what story trended because my situation was dire, preoccupying all thoughts aside from the aforementioned glorious ass cheeks.

Her breakfast was an immense pile of fried delights procured from an expensive local butcher.

"I don't deserve this kindness, Celia."

"I have a good feeling about you, Andrew. You'll turn things around if you behave well and make good choices."

She eyed me studiously while I carved a delicious butcher's sausage into smaller pieces, adding a few beans and a slice of fried tomato, squashing everything onto my fork.

"I can't eat all of this."

"I noticed you worked out a great deal until last week. Are you attending the gym?"

"Not at the moment. I can't pay my fees."

Celia stood up, fetched her purse, and placed a credit card on the table. I noticed hers was platinum and issued by a private bank in the City.

"I can't accept your generosity."

"Can you be trusted with my card, Andrew?"

"Of course. I'd never steal from anyone. Although technically, I am stealing right now by not paying the rent."

"That's nuanced, and I haven't chased your payment either. We're in negotiation."

"That's very kind of you."

"My PIN is 3769. Use it to pay for your gym fees and keep that physique looking damn fine. You can also buy yourself lunch while at work."

"Umm, are you sure about this, Celia?"

"I'm positive. You can spend up to fifty pounds daily, with no questions asked."

"I could pay my rent with it."