9

Mishti left the Noon mansion heartbroken. As much as Vijaypath tried to reassure her and convince her never to tell Ritwik the truth and just let him deal with the loss of Pragati, she couldn't agree to that. It wasn't even a practical thing. She wasn't planning on leaving her father, even if she moved back to Kolkata. The Noons and Kunal were very close and soon more people would know about her and it would be too risky to keep hiding it from Ritwik.

A lot of things hurt her but what hurt the most was to know that Ritwik was 'falling for her' too. When Vijaypath said she was the right woman for his son, besting her sister in that, she felt her heart breaking for only selfish reasons. She wanted to have a chance to be his girlfriend and who knows maybe fiancée and wife but she wanted to be Mishti, not Pragati. It was easier to accept the loss when she knew all his feelings were about Pragati. When she thought she was the one saying herself that some of those feelings were towards her and not her sister. But now Vijay confirmed what she thought were delusional and wishful ideas. Ritwik had some feelings for her that his father believed were the same as she had for him. She wondered if she had ever come to Mumbai as herself if she would ever have a chance but she soon repressed that thought. It would imply her stealing her sister's man and that was a thought that she couldn't bear. It just made it hurt more to know that in a world where Ritwik wasn't with Pragati, she would have a chance with the man she had always dreamed about.

As soon as she arrived home she was surprised by two beautiful – and huge – bouquets in the living room.

"These arrived earlier, Pragati, they're for you," the housekeeper said and Mishti thanked her adding a smile to her words.

She approached the flowers and she knew those were from Ritwik. But she didn't understand why two bouquets and especially why they were so different from one another. While one was made of white roses, the other was made of light pink lilies. But there was only one card, hanging on the roses' bouquet.

For any sort of joke by the universe, Mishti's favorite flowers were lilies and she especially liked the pink ones

For any sort of joke by the universe, Mishti's favorite flowers were lilies and she especially liked the pink ones. She was going to keep them and take the roses to Pragati but she couldn't do it today. She had yet another very emotional day and she wondered when there would be any normalcy in her life again. And that was why she asked the housekeeper to prepare her a relaxing bath, where she planned to spend at least an hour.

And that was how she spent the following hour indeed. She had turned off her phone and was thankful that her father was at the office. She didn't want anyone to talk to her, to interrupt the moment she felt she needed. She just wanted to relax, to let her mind go blank, focusing only on the music she had playing in the background. It worked for a while, every time her mind drifted back to the problems she had in her life she brushed it off and sang along with the lyrics.

When she was done with her bath, the water had already become cold, leading her to shake slightly. She put on her pajamas though it wasn't even six in the afternoon. She just wanted to write in her diary, eat, preferably in her bedroom, and sleep. But someone had different plans for her.