17

The scenery was breathtaking. The house faced a beautiful and expansive lake, its warmth inviting thoughts of a refreshing swim. The house's architectural style reflected a charming nineteenth-century design and recent renovations had given it a modern touch. The gardens were extravagant, with abundant flowers blooming, creating a serene and peaceful atmosphere. Ritwik couldn't help but appreciate the picturesque setting, and he was certain that Kriti had chosen this location with tranquility in mind when she extended the invitation. Perhaps it was also an opportunity to spend quality time with Vikram.

Despite the idyllic surroundings, Ritwik couldn't comprehend why Kriti hadn't pursued a romantic relationship with Vikram, especially when it was evident that she held deep affection for him

Despite the idyllic surroundings, Ritwik couldn't comprehend why Kriti hadn't pursued a romantic relationship with Vikram, especially when it was evident that she held deep affection for him. He had consistently expressed his feelings for her, going to great lengths to win her heart. However, Kriti seemed preoccupied with her career, making it challenging to invest time in her personal life. Initially, Vikram felt threatened by Ritwik, particularly as Kriti shared her apartment with him. In a candid conversation, Ritwik reassured Vikram that they were good friends. It took some time, but he eventually was convinced that Ritwik and Kriti were indeed nothing more than friends.

"So, what are your thoughts?" she inquired as they approached the driveway.

"It's truly a stunning place. Is this your first visit?" Ritwik asked, still captivated by the scenery.

"Vikram invited me once before," Kriti mentioned briefly, leaving Ritwik to wonder if they had been alone during that previous visit.

"Are you sure you're not trying to set me up with someone?" he asked suspiciously, spotting Aman, Vikram's brother, on the deck by the lake with a girl.

"No, Ritwik. I'm aware of Mishti and Pragati. You know I would never do that to you. This is just a break from it all, a change of scenery. Trust me, you need it, and I needed the extended weekend," she explained, and he nodded as she turned off the engine.

"Kriti!" Vikram called out as he descended the stairs to welcome the duo.

"Hi, Vikram," Kriti responded, a tad shy but appreciative of the warm and affectionate reception from her co-worker. They exchanged hugs, and Ritwik sensed that it lingered a bit longer than a casual embrace.

"Ritwik," the taller man acknowledged, extending his hand for Ritwik to shake.

"You have a lovely place here, Vikram. Thanks for inviting me," Ritwik replied.

"According to Kriti, you needed a distraction, and, well, this place can be quite distracting," Vikram quipped, prompting Ritwik to survey his surroundings once more.

"It certainly can," Ritwik exhaled, turning to handle his and Kriti's luggage for their three-day stay.

"There are three guest rooms on the left side of the corridor; feel free to choose any. Both mine and Aman's are on the right side, and Diya, our cousin has taken the remaining guest room on that side of the house."