13

Ritwik was experiencing grief stages but not in the order suggested in the classical seven stages. First, there was shock and then unbearable pain. Anger was barely part of his routine and it was always directed at Waheguru Ji. He soon accepted he had lost the woman he loved – and also the fact that he wouldn't ever love someone like her again or at all – and the depression didn't last more than a week and a half. But he completely forgot about the upward turn, the reconstruction, and hope.

Although he wasn't trying to be lonely anymore, he wasn't back at work and his sarcasm and acid humor were in full swing. Vijaypath knew it was part of his son's personality but he didn't used to be so radical about those traces. It was almost impossible to have a conversation with Ritwik especially because there were rare moments when he was alone. At first, it was just a bottle of whiskey but now that it had been a month, the women started to come into the house. It wasn't even the case that one different woman each day. Some days he took two or three girls. He used one of the spare bedrooms and made sure they were gone from the house once he was done with them. No sleepovers and certainly no phone numbers exchanged.

Rishabh noticed a pattern that Vijaypath had missed. There were all shades of dusky, wheatish, and black skin. None of them was as fair as Pragati. They had hazel or green eyes. It was like he was completely avoiding any resemblance. It wasn't healthy and made his father worried but there was nothing they could do to help Ritwik. He didn't accept any advice and barely heard anything his father and brother had told him.

"So what's the flavor for the afternoon?" Arohi asked when she entered Noon's mansion and found Ritwik with a bottle of scotch, shirtless, looking wrecked.

"Why? Interested? You know I'm by far the most attractive brother and I can assure you I could make you feel things in bed that Rishabh is never capable of doing," Ritwik smirked and took a long gulp from his glass.

"Trust me, you could never make me feel what your brother does because there's love between us. Whatever orgasm you make those girls have won't compare to what me and your brother have," Arohi said with a disgusted face at the mention of the women he brought home.

"If you like boring, unpleasant, unsatisfactory sex with my baby brother, it's up to you. I'll be here if you ever want to know what real pleasure is," he said and then emptied his tumbler before refilling it to the top, no rocks.

"Are you aware you're proposing to have sex with your brother's girlfriend?" Arohi asked indignantly. She witnessed a few exchanges between Ritwik and the other Noon men. However, this was the first time she had tried to talk to him and she already knew it was a big mistake.

"If you took care of your fucking business I wouldn't say anything. I don't care how many girls I bring home or if I fuck them brainless, that's my problem and their gain. I don't remember asking you anything," he said bitterly, drinking half of the scotch he just poured.

"We love you, Ritwik. It hurts to watch you self-destruct yourself like this. I know this is a taboo subject here but if you want to talk about Pragati, about how you feel, I'm here for you. We've been friends for so long. You helped a lot when my mother died and I want to help you too." Her voice was filled with emotion and care but somehow those things didn't reach Ritwik's heart anymore.

"You did that when my mother died," he retorted dryly.

"But that doesn't mean I can't help you again," she reached for his hand and stroked it softly.

"I'm not in the mood Arohi," he said quietly. He didn't want to hurt her. He knew she knew he didn't mean it when he suggested she sleep with him. However, even the mention of such things would disturb her and he hoped that would send her away. But he should have known better. Arohi Oberoi didn't give up easily especially when it came to the people she cared about. She would insist – and she could beat anyone with her insistence on tiredness. She didn't take no as an answer unless she was satisfied with it or thought another occasion would be more appropriate. That wasn't the case then.