12

"I thought you could use a female companion around. I heard your mother had to go back to Kolkata," the other girl offered when she entered the Khanna mansion. Kunal didn't attach to anyone and the employees in his house weren't any different. He fired all of them and got new ones to avoid further explanations about Mishti. His daughter didn't approve of the decision and said she could find a place for her to stay until she decided what to do about her life. However, her father wouldn't have it.

"Thank you, Arohi," Mishti smiled weakly and the cheery woman was shocked to see how she looked. Of course, Ritwik and Kunal were looking pretty grim themselves but Mishti wasn't far behind them at all. There were reddish bags under her eyes. Her eyes didn't appear to glow anymore. It seemed like she was a zombie and even her color faded.

"I know this is a stupid question but I need to ask anyway even answered because although I have the simple answer I don't grasp the many things behind it, I don't understand the intensity and I think that's something you should talk about, you shouldn't keep inside... and I'm rambling. What I want to know is how you are," Arohi lost herself in her words and although she looked embarrassed Mishti chuckled softly. Arohi was trying so hard not to make things more miserable and be there for her that she lost it. However, Mishti didn't mind it at all.

"Breathing. It seems like I have lost everyone. My mother is back in Kolkata and trying to show she's strong but she isn't. I know how much pain she's feeling now which is why I told her to leave. My father... hardly ever leaves his bedroom and when he does he also tries so desperately to be strong that he can't say a word. It seems like if he opens his mouth he'll break down and cry uncontrollably. Although I never met her, knowing that Pragati is dead and I'd not have a chance to meet her and talk to her just left a void in my heart. A void that always existed because I wanted to be her sister more than anything but now it feels much bigger. I've never felt so alone, desolate, and lost in my whole life. "I'm focusing on just being able to breathe," Mishti replied with a small smile. However, Arohi knew how bad the girl in front of her was and that even the smallest of smiles didn't reflect any true joy or happiness. Mishti wasn't the same person she met a few days ago. Back then she didn't look like the person Arohi imagined Mishti was, she was just a ghost now.

"I'm so sorry for your loss and how it affected everyone around you and that's why I'm here. I know we barely know each other but Vijay uncle only has positive things to say about you and thinks you could use a friend. Also, you made Ritwik happier than I have ever seen him. So I just wanted you to realize that you can count on me for everything you need," Arohi reached for her hand when she mentioned Ritwik and Mishti winced.

"Thank you, Arohi. I suppose there's nothing like time. Time heals all wounds and I hope it'll fix my family," Mishti added melancholy.

"Yes, but sometimes we need to help. I lost my mom and you lived with Pragati in the hospital for a few weeks. I lived with my mom for months. Time worked against me and when she died, it was the harrowing time of my life. However, I also have to admit that when people tried to help me, I refused. I thought nothing could be done when there were some things to do. There's nothing we can do to bring them back. Although Pragati didn't know you, if she did she would want you, Nandini, and Kunal to resume your lives. Sometimes I felt like I shouldn't smile because I should be grieving my mother. Even a smile felt disrespectful and I didn't want to smile because I wasn't supposed to do so. Smiles aren't part of pain and what I should be doing was hurting because I lost my mother. But then I realized I didn't die, Mishti. I had to make my life go on. I tried a few smiles and they couldn't feel more artificial but I had to attempt to do something. Just because I was back at school or watching a movie on TV didn't mean I hurt or missed my mother less. Time won't do anything if you don't strive to improve. You won't feel better for a while but you can attempt to do a few ordinary things and keep moving. You can do more than breathe, Mishti. That's what I'm trying to say," Arohi reasoned and while her face held a soft smile her voice was steady and determined. She spoke about the experience. She knew exactly where Mishti was. She was positive that losing her mother caused her more pain than losing Pragati did. Being without Nandini would probably be more challenging for Mishti to do than being the sister that she always wanted to have a relationship with, which she never did. For Arohi it was as if Mishti was grieving the repercussions of a bond. This was while she lost her only meaningful relationship those years ago when she lost her mother. Her father was drunk somewhere in the country and she didn't miss him at all. But her mother was her best friend, her hero, her role model, and her confidant. But if she made it, Mishti could make it too, even if her loss was less destructive. Vijaypath made it sound like it was critical for him that someone help Mishti. He also said there was nothing Arohi wouldn't do to the last parental figure she had. She loved Rishabh's father more than she ever loved her father. If helping Mishti was a priority for Vijay uncle, it was equally meaningful for Arohi too.