Prologue

Hurrying  down  a  dimly  lit  corridor  that  smelt  of  disinfectant  was  not  how  Stanley  Shrew  planned  to  spend  his Friday  night.  He  liked  to  delude  himself  up  until  then  that  he  had  a  life-  but,  sadly,  no.

The brief  rush  gave  Stanley  time  to  reflect  on  his  life.

40  years  old, mousy  hair  already  thinning,  falling  out  in  unsightly,  soft  clumps.  Average height.  Average  face.  Extraordinarily  thin. His  long  spindly  fingers  clutched  his  notebook  and  pen  closer  to  his  chest  as  he  tripped  over  his  shoelaces.

Can’t  even  tie  up  his  own  shoes.  Stuck  in  a  dead-end  job,  no  girlfriend…  Still  lived  with  his  mother!  But  this-  this  story  could  change  his  life!  He  could  see  it  all:  article,  documentary,  film!  He’d  be  set  for  life…

“Set  for  life…”  He  whispered  longingly,  licking  his  chapped  lips.

Door.

Stanley  stopped  abruptly.  He  straightened  his  blazer,  adjusted  his  cap  and  hitched  up  his  trousers,  just  in  case.

He  rapped  twice  on  the steel  door.  A  series  of  clicks  could  be  heard  as  every  single  lock  and  bolt  was  released  from  the  inside.  At  this  Stanley  frowned.  Surely  the  locks  would  be  on  the  outside  rather  than  within  reach  of  the  patient?

“Mr.  Shrewd?”  Inquired  a  thick  Russian  accent.

“It’s,  it’s  Shrew,”  Stanley  squeaked  in  reply.  My  god,  he  thought,  even  my  voice  is  pathetic!

The  door  swayed  open  and  Stanley  was  blinded  temporarily  by  the  bright,  white  light  that  illuminated  the  cell.  When  his  eyesight  eventually  returned  a  large,  broad  shouldered  gorilla  of  a  man  bundled  into  a  white  lab  coat  faded  into  view.

Tall,  handsome,  muscular-  Stanley  hated  him  already.

“Doctor  Obanoffskii,”  The  ape  grinned,  extending  a  hairy  melon  sized  hand  which  Stanley  shook  uncertainly.

“No,”  Stanley  frowned  (although  secretly  delighting  in  the  man’s  stupidity)  “I’m  Mr.  Shrew.”

At  this  Doctor  Obanoffskii-  which  was  the  name  of  Gorilla-man,  as  Stanley  later  found  out  to  his  great  embarrassment-  boomed  with  laughter.  Poor  Stanley  nearly  jumped  out  of  his  skin;  the laugh was like the crack of a whip!

“Ah…”  Doctor  Obanoffskii  chuckled,  “British  humor...”

To  which  he  released  Stanley’s  hand  from  his  vice-like  grip  and  suddenly  grew  serious.

“I  trust  you  have  no  items  from  the  outside  world  that  could  be  used  as  a  weapon?”

“Ah,  no,”  Stanley  said,  massaging  his  hand.  “I  had  quite  an…  extensive  search  on  the way  in.  Although  what  I  could  store  there  of  all  places  will  remain  a  mystery.”   Stanley waggled  his  pen,  “Had  to  fight  tooth  and  nail  to  keep  this!”

Obanoffskii  nodded.  “Be  sure  to  keep  it  away  from  her.”

“Um…”  Stanley  hesitated,  “If  she’s  so  dangerous,  why  are  the  locks  on  the  inside?”