CHAPTER 2

May  Fly  slapped  yet  another  gnat  off  her  arm.

A  holiday  in  the  Congo  was  great  and  all,  but  the  wildlife  was  proving  to  be  less  than  hospitable.  Well:  I  say  holiday,  but  it  was  more  of  a  business  trip.

May  was  the  daughter  of  famed  explorers/  botany  enthusiasts  Dakota  and  Nigel  Fly-  who  were  on  their  latest  foraging  trip.  They  were  searching  for  the  rare  Gaia-Diablo,  or  Venus  monkey  trap  to  the  locals.

Obviously  May  wasn’t  allowed  to  tag  along;  it  was  ‘Too  dangerous’  and  ‘What  if  she  got  lost?’.  Personally  May  thought  her  parents  were  just  worried  she’d  find  the  imfamous  plant  and  take  all  of  the  credit  for  herself.

So  May  decided  to  busy  herself  by  trying  to  get  a  tan.

Sprawled  in  a  deckchair  in  her  shorts  and  seen-better-days-t-shirt,  May  swept  her  ginger  hair  away  from  her  sweaty  forehead  and  scratched  her  arm. 

Damn  gnats.

May  supposed  she  should  be  wearing  suntan  lotion,  as  her  mother  was  forever  fussing  about  her  ‘fair  skin’.  But-  to  be  honest-  if  her  mum  wanted  May  to  be  under  supervision,  then  she  should  have  allowed  May  to  come  with  them.

So  there.

…  That  told  them.

Let  them  come  back  to  a  sun-dried  daughter.

The  sweltering  sun  smiled  down  lazily  on  the  dewy  canopy,  bouncing  off  every  glistening  bead  that  dripped  off  the  emerald  leaves.  Camouflaged  lizards  basked  in  the  heat  on  the  rocks  and  slithered  around  on  the  patchy,  coarse  grass.  One  lizard  in  particular  had  decided  the  best  spot  for  warmth  was  right  on  May’s  neck.

A  random  Howler  Monkey  howled  (Well,  what  else  would  it  do?)  in  the  distance,  startling  a  whole  flock  of  birds.  They  shrieked  their  dismay  as  they  flapped  hurriedly  over  Mays  head,  their  vibrant  feathers  catching  the  sun’s  rays  in  such  a  way  they  merged  into  one  gorgeous  rainbow  trailblazing  across  the  cloudless  sky.  Lianas  swayed  peacefully  in  the  aftermath  of  the  disturbance:  and  the  ends  grazed  over  mushrooms  so  decayed  they  crumbled  and  melted  at  the  slight  touch.

 May  was  so  bored  she  could  eat  one  of  those  mushrooms,  just  to  pass  the  time.

 “I’m  booooooooorrrreeed…”  She  groaned  to  the  lizard  on  her  neck.

 The  lizard  merely  shifted  into  a  better  position.  Actually,  the  lizard  was  quite  good  company.

“And  I’m  boiling!”

The  lizard  flicked  its  tail.

As  May  fanned  herself  with  a  feathery  leaf  she  decided  the  lizard  should  be  her  pet.

“Mum  and  Dad  should  be  back  soon,”  She  said  to  her  new  pet,  “but  I  can’t  let  them  see  you.  You  might  be  a  whole  new  species!  And  they  might  pin  you  to  a  board  with  a  plaque…  or  is  that  butterflies?

This  time  the  lizard  didn’t  even  bother  to  move.

“What  do  you  eat  little  guy?  I  hope  it’s  not  human  flesh.  I  had  a  pet  spider  from  this  island  we  went  to-  I  called  him  Billy.  Then  one  night  I  woke  up  and  I  was  missing  a  whole  chunk  of  my  ear!”  Her  finger  traced  along  the  jagged  edge  of  her  earlobe.  “…  I  think  I  panicked  and  squashed  him.”