CHAPTER 8

"Dhruv, Dhruv!"

Dhruv Chopra's gaze flicked from the box to Aidan's wide eyes, "What?"

"I don't think that we should be..." Aidan faultered, "I don't think that this is safe."

"Why do you think that, Aidan? You scared?" Dhruv's eyes narrowed and a challenging smirk played on his lips, "You chicken?"

Aidan drew himself up, "I'm no chicken"

"Good"

"But this IS stupid,"

"You're stupid!"

"We're in the same class!"

Dhruv looked at Aidan and sighed. "It's not like I haven't done this before, you know."

"Really?" Aidan frowned.

"Yes, really. Of course: those times were just accidents... But it's not really that difficult."

"I know it's not difficult! But the consequences-"

"There won't be any consequences, because there won't be any evidence."

"Are you sure? Can you swear on your life?"

Dhruv turned away and started to open the box. Aidan slapped it out of his hands.

"Swear on your life!"

Dhruv rolled his eyes, "Fine, I swear"

"I don't believe you"

"I don't care"

"C'mon Dhruv, let's go." Aidan pleaded.

"The bus doesn't arrive for ages."

"We'll walk"

"There's no way I'm walking at this time of night."

"Then we'll get a taxi."

"By the time the taxi arrives, we could be on the bus!" Dhruv snorted.

"Fine, fine! Go through with this if you want to, but I'm walking away."

"Yeah. You go crying home to Mummy." Dhruv jeered.

Aidan stopped, his fist clenched. "Well excuse me for not wanting to end up in prison!"

"Nah... It's just vandalism, I think, or arson. Plus this is a first offence for you, so I bet you'd only wind up in community service. Plus, and I can't stress this enough, we won't get caught."

"It's still not worth it man! I mean, I hardly even knew your brother."

Dhruv rounded on Aidan, "Know. You hardly even know my brother; he's not dead yet."

"Right, yes, sorry" Aidain bowed his head, "and what happened... I'm sorry. It sucks, and I understand why you want revenge, But you're like my brother! I'm not going to let my brother in any mess like this."

"I've done this before!"

"To a curtain! By accident! Not to a building on purpose!"

Dhruv leaned against a wall and sat down. He looked at the ornate rug, the leather sofa, fancy curtains, photos of the gang and the old rucksack Wasp used to hide the countless wads of £100 notes.

"Dhruv! C'mon Dhruv, you can sit down and sulk outside." Urged Aidan.

"When Saini joned Killin' Sting, it was so he could fit in. We were new to England, I was only six, and we didn't speak any English. He joined it because we needed protection. Then Mum got ill, and we couldn't- can't- afford the care she needs."