CHAPTER 4

“Mum,”  Carmen  called  “I’m  home!”

“Oh,  hello  sweetie!”  her  mum  yelled  from  upstairs.

The Blakely  house  was  more  of  a  mansion,  really.

3  stories  high.

3!

Her  dad  was  a  chef  and,  growing  up  in  a  semi-detached  flat  with  no  less  than  6  brothers,  Lloyd  decided  to  fork  out  on  a  monster  of  a  house  for  his  only  daughter  to  enjoy.  This  logic  was  also  lost  on  his  wife.

Mr.  Blakely  had  the  bottom,  Miss. Blakely  had  the  middle  and  Mrs.  Blakely  had  the  top.  Carmen  never  really  got  to  choose;  Dad  wanted  the  kitchen  and  Mum  wanted  the  windows  so  she  could  ‘inspire  herself’.  Which  is  strange,  because  none  of  her  paintings  had  anything  to  do  with  the  sky.

Carmen  stumbled  upstairs  and  collapsed  on  her  bed;  a  day  coping  with  her  class  is  always  a  drain.  It  was  one  of  those  few  days  when  Carmen  was  glad  to  be  left  alone. Usually,  she  just  felt  lonely  and  excluded  from  her  family.  Especially  now  that  they’re  both  so  busy  with  their  big  orders.

She  didn’t  want  to  get  in  the  way;  her  artistic  and  culinary  skills  being  virtually  non-existent.

She  sighed  and  stared  at  the  homework  notes  scrawled  on  her  arms.

History.  Book  damaged  beyond  use.

Science. Project  would  just  be  chucked  around  anyway.

Maths. To hell  with  it.

To  hell  with  all  of  it.

Carmen  stared  at  her  reflection  in  the  bathroom  mirror  with  both  her  hands  in  the  sink.

What  was  the  point  of  even  bothering  if  the  bullies  would  just  destroy  it?  What  was  the  point  if  it’d  just  result  in  a  letter  home  worrying  about  her  progress?

Answer:  absolutely  none.

Grabbing  the  soapy  nailbrush  and  sneering  at  the  mirror,  Carmen  began  to  scrub  the  pen  off  her  arms.

This  was  the  first  day  of  the  rest  of  her  life.

She  was  taking  a  stand.

They’d  have  nothing  to  ruin  tomorrow.

And  maybe-  one  of  these  days-  she’d  stop  coming  into  school  altogether.

Yeah…  She’d  walk  out  the  door  to  school,  hide  in  the  bushes  until  her  parents  left  to  do  whatever,  jump  on  the  bins,  swing  off  the  window  ledge,  climb  up  the  wall  and  get  into  her  room.

Ooh:  she  must  remember  to  leave  her  window  ope-

“Why  don’t  I  just  use  a  key?”

Carmen  stopped  washing  her  arms  and  started  to  dry  off.

She  felt  slightly  better  now  that  she  knew  what  she  could  do  if  it  got  too  much.

She  dumped  the  towel  on  the  floor  and  went  to  open  the  door.

Blood?

Pooling  around  her  arms  and  leaving  livid  streaks  down  her  arms.