CHAPTER 5

A  quick  note  from  me:  If  any  confusion  is  created  in  this  chapter,  I  have  already  been  told!  I promise  that  everything  will  make  sense  in  Chapter  10.  Love  from  bumbebum =D.

CHAPTER  5

Carmen’s  world  shattered  into  a  mess  of  stabbing  screams,  blinding  light  and  excruciating  pain  inflicted  on  her  soft  flesh.  The  blade  dragged  slowly  through  Carmen’s  arm,  twisting  every  now  and  then  to  draw  a  shriek  from  her  shredded  vocal  chords.

Warmth  gushed  form  the  blade’s  path.  And  yet  she  was  cold.

Frost  cast  lacey  webs  through  Carmen’s  bones.  Icicles  ripped  through  her  heart,  stabbing  her  nerves.  Frozen  fingers  cradled  her  brain  and  stroked  through  her  skin;  numbing  Carmen’s  body,  leaving  her  arm  to  burn.  A  sharp  turn  caused  for  Carmen  to  cry  out.

Finally,  the  pain  stopped.

Dylan’s  distorted  head  swam  into  view.  He  flashed  her  a  sharp-toothed  grin.

“I  think  you  should  take  the  day  off  tomorrow,”  he  laughed.

The  light  flashed  off  of  the  knife  as  he  raised  it  again.  Bloodlust  raged  like  a  fire  in  his  eyes-  fuelled  by  the  power  of  a  simple  D.I.Y  tool  and  Carmen’s  agonized  cries.

The  knife  flew  higher  and  higher  above  her  paralyzed  body,  until  it  was  a  dot  in  the  bright  white  sky.  Carmen  could  do  nothing  but  watch  in  terrified  awe  as  the  knife  screamed  back  down  to  earth,  trailing  fire  and  burning  as  bright  as  a  star.

Carmen  smiled  at  the  savage  angel  that  had  come  to  end  her  suffering.  She  welcomed  death  with  open  arms  as  the  knife  swung  towards  her  belly.

Peace.  Only  eternal  peace  waited  for  Carmen  now.

No  more  taunts.  No  more  shoves.  No  more  cruel whispers  and  smiles.  Just,  peace.  Casting  all  cares,  worries,  fear  to  the  wind;  Carmen  was  ready  for  the  sudden  slice.

Dylan  blinked  the  fire  away.  Shaking,  he  dropped  the  blade  to  his  side.

The  potent  flush  of  adrenaline  drained  from  his  face.

“Don’t  be  stupid  Dylan.”  He  whispered.  He  looked  at  the  deluded  girl  smiling  at  the  ceiling.  “If  I  ever  see  your  ugly  arse  around  here  ever  again;  I’ll  cut  you  into  tiny  pieces  and  feed  you  to  the  flies... You hear me?"  Dylan  rose  to  his  feet  and  ran  out  of  the  doomed  warehouse. 

Carmen  frowned.  Why  wasn’t  she  dead  yet?  She  snatched  at  the  air  above  her  stomach  in  attempt  to  help  the  star  on  its  way.  Carmen  howled  as  her  hands  clasped  nothing  but  air,  wringing  her  bloody  arms.  She  was  so  ready  to  die!

The  rational  part  of  her  brain  practically  cried  with  relief  at  the  second  chance  of  life.  Suicidal  madness  subsided,  Carmen  found  her  breath.  Slowly,  the  light  stopped  being  painful.  Silence  seeped  into  Carmen’s  ears  and  soothed  her  panicked  mind.

A  sickly-sweet,  rotten  stench  floated  around  her  head.  To  Carmen’s  great  disgust  she  realized  her  hair  was  lying  in  a  foul  pool  of  what  used  to  be  an  orange.  Grimacing,  she  raised  her  left  arm  to  pull  it  out  of  the  sticky  puddle.

Cooling  blood  dripped  onto  Carmen’s  face.

Oh,  right.

She  thanked  herself  for  not  falling  into  a  full-blown  panic.  Maybe  it  was  the  fact  that  nobody  was  there  to  feel  sorry  for  Carmen  but  herself?

Regardless,  Carmen  examined  her  wound.  The  word  that  would  spring  into  one’s  mind  when  looking  at  it  would  most  probably  be  ‘ouch’.

From  what  she  could  tell,  what  with  the  blood  and  all,  6  deep  gashes  were  on  the  inside  of  her  arm.  Carmen  didn’t  want  to  see  much  more  than  that.  She  was  in  pain,  there  was  blood  and  it  was  deep:  that’s  all  she  needed  to  know.  Time  to  move  on.

Where  should  she  go  from  here?

Something  told  Carmen  she  was  no  longer  welcome  at  school.  Or  at  home,  for  that  matter.  She  decided  to  walk  out  and  move  to  a  new  town.  Carmen  was  old  enough  for  a  part-time  job,  and  she  pretty  much  looked  after  herself  already.

Set  on  that  flimsy,  horribly  vague  plan,  Carmen  sat  up.

And  immediately  passed  out.

 <<  >>

The  light  continued  to  cast  flickering  shadows.  Carmen  blearily  opened  her  eyes,  flexing  her  sore  arm.

Dried  blood  flaked  off  and  warmth  trickled  through  the  cracks.  Carmen  lifted  her  arm  out  of  her  slick  pool  of  blood,  looking  at  it  as  she  did  so.  Swollen  balls  of  pus  sat  among  the  crusty  blood.  The  cuts  hadn’t  closed;  they  just  gaped  open  and  flapped  uselessly.  She  dropped  her  arm  back  down.

Confused  flies  smashed  into  the  pathetic  excuse  of  a  light  bulb  continuously.  Some  created  annoying  zaps  as  they  electrocuted  themselves.  Rats  scuttled  around  on  the  filthy  floor.

Breathing  hard,  Carmen  struggled  to  sit  up.  Pretty  white  lights  sparked  in  her  head.  The  world  began  to  swim.  Carmen  crashed  her  arm  to  the  ground  in  her  frustration  and  tried  again.  This  time  she  leant  against  the  wall  and  pushed  up.

The  room  warped  and  pulsed  the  higher  she  got.  The  table  that  was  a  few  feet  away  suddenly  crashed  into  her  thigh.  The  walls  closed  in  on  Carmen;  squeezing  her  until  she  lost  the  ability  to  breathe,  then  grew  so  far  apart  the  ceiling  fell  to  the  floor.

No:  the  floor  fell into  the  ceiling.

Carmen  realized  she  had  tripped  over  the  table  and  fallen  over.  Blood  appeared  to  now  trickle  out  of  her  head.

Well that couldn’t  be  good.

“Oooowww…”  she  moaned.

Her  hands  gripped  the  table  and  she  pulled  herself  onto  weak,  shaky  legs.  Carmen  screamed  from  the  effort.  Then  laughed  when  she  saw  she  was  standing.  She  placed  one  trembling  foot  in  front  of  the  other.

The  ground  before  her  fell  into  the  earth  with  a  resigned  sigh.

Carmen  leaped  forwards.  A  beam  shuddered  into  view.

For  the  second  time,  Carmen  passed  out.