Chapter 2 - Foiling Plans

Standing just outside her father's bedroom, Bulma cracked her knuckles nervously. She had been pondering the matter all through dinner, and she'd made a decision. Bulma was going to tell her father about Yamcha.

Yes, her father was weak. But he would want her to be happy, wouldn't he? Surely this news wouldn't cause him too much stress.

"Daddy," She called trepidatiously through the door. "Can I come in?"

A cough sounded from the other side of the door. A moment later it swung open, and there stood Maron glaring at the Princess. "Your father needs his rest," She said, somewhat too irritably, and Bulma shook her head. "He's my father, and I wish to speak with him."

Without another word strolled Bulma into the room, her head held high with indignance. Maron followed slowly, much to the Princess' chagrin. She'd been hoping to be able to speak in private. Perhaps she wouldn't mention Yamcha, after all. Not with Maron there...

"Daddy?" Bulma whispered again. "How are you feeling?"

King Briefs lay in his bed, his feet covered with a soft blanket. "I've had better days," He tried to laugh, his voice raspy. "But I held it together in front of the guests, that's what is most important."

Princess Bulma glanced hesitantly at Maron, who was standing in the corner. She looked back to her father, who was looking at her expectantly. "Can I ask you something?"

"Of course sweetheart," King Briefs replied. "Come closer, honey."

"I'm going to get his medicine." Maron announced. "Princess, give him some water."

"Yes, ma'am." Bulma rolled her eyes, wondering how Maron felt entitled enough to give her orders. But this was about her father, and she picked up the glass off the bedside table.

"That's better!" King Briefs smacked his lips. "My throat is killing me from all this evening's chatter, dear."

"I'll try not to keep you, then." Princess Bulma fidgeted with her hands. Now that Maron was gone, she actually had a chance. "Daddy... Would you... Would you force me to marry a man I didn't love?" So terrified of the answer, a lump formed in her throat, and tears threatened her eyes.

"Of course not!" King Briefs replied with such urgency that he began to cough again. Bulma put a hand to his forehead, disbelief at his quick response. "You shall marry whichever man you choose. I will not force you into a marriage."

King Briefs had never wanted an arranged marriage for his daughter. He himself had been marrried by pre-determined plan, and he was very lucky to have had such a loving relationship with his dearly departed wife, Bunny. If Princess Bulma could experience just a bit of what that type of life was like, he would be at peace.

"But why do you ask this so suddenly?" King Briefs asked. And then, before the Princess had a chance to respond, in walked Maron with the vile of cough syrup.

"Sweetheart," King Briefs said. "Let us finish this conversation in the morning, when I am of sound mind."

'Yes, Daddy...."

-

Princess Bulma was strolling to her room, so happy with the revelation that she hardly paid attention to her surroundings. Her father didn't believe in arranged marriage! He wouldn't force her to marry anyone she didn't love! Perhaps this would mean that he would accept her love of a captain, after all.

It was because of these gleeful thoughts that she didn't notice Prince Vegeta, who had been pacing about the corridors, thinking over the conversation he'd had with his own Father. And Vegeta was so beside himself with this pondering that he hadn't noticed the Princess, either. Not until a familiar floral scent crossed his nose.