Chapter 1 - The Guests

Through the hall marched three men, capes blowing behind two of them. King Vegeta, Prince Vegeta, and Kakarot moved with determination as they approached the Earth's King.

"Hey, I'm King Briefs,"

Both the King and Prince Vegeta fought back the urge to roll their eyes at the nonchalant demeanor that the Earth's ruler was known to hold. The two royal saiyans exchanged quick looks, Kakarot lingering behind them.

This was a diplomatic meeting, King Vegeta remembered. While the people of Earth were physically weak, they made up for this tenfold in intelligence. Reputed as one of the most technologically advanced planets, Earth resources would be pricelessly valuable to the planet of saiyan blood.

"I'm sorry for the informality, but Princess Bulma laments that she is unavailable to greet you," Maron stepped forward from beside King Briefs. Having been a member of the castle for quite some time, Maron had spent countless hours advising the royal family on their interplanetary relations. Especially since Queen Bunny had passed away from illness a year earlier, Maron had found a comfortable position as the King's immediate assistant.

"And you are?" King Vegeta dragged his words interrogatively.

"Lady Maron of the King's Court, sir."

King Vegeta actually smiled. This new face actually knew how to conduct herself. "And what keeps Princess Bulma from gracing us with her presence?"

Internally, Maron bit her lip. This was a question she had been wondering herself, for it had been hours since she'd last seen the Princess. Nobody in the court had been able to find her, just as usual when Princess Bulma went missing. But it wouldn't do to admit this to the visiting King, and Maron choked back a nervous laugh. "Princess Bulma, erm, ran late with some prior duties. She is making herself presentable now."

Maron couldn't believe the rubbish coming out of her mouth. But to her relief, the king merely nodded.

"That's our Bulma," King Briefs chuckled. "Always up to something. Anyway, come with me. I'll show you the grounds before dinner."

Laughing apologetically, Maron bowed her head as she backed away from the group. She watched as they began to descend down the hall. And then she turned, storming into the nearest room. Chi-Chi happened to be right behind the door, and Maron lunged for her. Holding her by the collar of her dress, Maron pulled Chi-Chi towards her face.

"Where is that girl?!" She spat. "Find her now! Bulma!"

—-

"Bulma! Princess Bulma!"

The voice was still so distant, as the Princess hid in the shadows of her garden. She was staring up at the moon dreamily, hearing but ignoring the calls behind her.

"Beautiful, as always, even in the dark."

Bulma turned at the voice, seeing the familiar silhouette of a tall man. "Yamcha," She breathed, allowing herself to fall in his arms. "Oh, Yamcha. We don't have long."

The two embraced in a slow kiss, the shaggy man pulling back to eye her in the moonlight. He was the lead captain of the Naval branch of the Earth's military. Having such a high title, he'd been invited to the ball. But not as Bulma's guest, for her father wasn't even aware that she knew the scarfaced man.

"I can't keep doing this," Bulma whispered. Urgency curled in her voice. "I can't keep pretending to not know you, to not be able to look your way."

"I would ask your father for your hand in marriage," Yamcha started.

"No, you can't!" Bulma cut him off. "You know what they'll do to you if they learn about us. Father wouldn't normally mind, but the people surrounding him would. They want nothing but to expand the Earth's power. They will stop at nothing to eliminate anything they deem as a threat to achieving that. Please don't speak of it again. We can't-"